Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can I administer surveys offline?

• lnstarkey
  • lnstarkey's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 4 months ago #70569 by lnstarkey
Can I administer surveys offline? was created by lnstarkey
Because I will be administering surveys on-the-go and in places that do not necessarily have internet access, I'm wondering if I can administer surveys offline and upload data later?
The topic has been locked.
  • Steve01
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
12 years 4 months ago #70570 by Steve01
Replied by Steve01 on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
Hello,

You can deploy LimeSurvey on your local host/localhost using a local web server (e.g. XAMMP), change parts of the survey or options and then add the changed parts to your online LimeSurvey installation. Though you have to add your changes manually or you have to export a survey/question page/question from your localhost, delete it in the online installation add import it using import feauture (survey: lss/csv file, question page: lsg file, question: lsq file).

If you want to synchronize your local installation with your online installation I don't think that's possible. I myself use the way mentioned above to create surveys or change and test design templates without affecting the online installation.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team
  • tpartner
More
12 years 4 months ago #70583 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
I would copy the database from the "permanent" installation to the "mobile" installation that vierundzwanzig suggests. Then you should be able to use VV Export/Import to merge the results - docs.limesurvey.org/Exporting+results&st...Export_and_VVImport_

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • lnstarkey
More
12 years 4 months ago #70595 by lnstarkey
Replied by lnstarkey on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
Hmmm...I might be misunderstanding, but I think you are talking about making changes to the survey offline. I want to know whether my participants can answer questions offline. In other words, can I have the survey available on my tablet/laptop without internet access, administer the survey to a participant, and then later upload their answers to combine them w/ other respondent's answers?
  • Steve01
More
12 years 4 months ago #70597 by Steve01
Replied by Steve01 on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
Hello,

okay, I think I get what you want to do. The solution is nearly the same as mentioned above. You can setup a local LimeSurvey installation on your tablet/laptop and let the participant fill it out. At home/work you can export the answers from your tablet/laptop using vv export feature and import it to your online installation using vv import feature.
You have to check if the both have the identical question pages/questions/answers, if so you can export the answers to your survey. How this is done is explained in the arcticle docs.limesurvey.org/Exporting+results&st...Export_and_VVImport_ mentiond by tpartner.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team
  • lnstarkey
More
12 years 4 months ago #70598 by lnstarkey
Replied by lnstarkey on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
Great, thank you so much!
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
12 years 4 months ago #70610 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
Depending on the way you analyse data, you can also merge the data later on by exporting from several systems to SPSS or Excel.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • Mazi
More
8 years 1 week ago #134397 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Can I administer surveys offline?

lnstarkey wrote: Because I will be administering surveys on-the-go and in places that do not necessarily have internet access, I'm wondering if I can administer surveys offline and upload data later?

There is a new app called " OfflineSurveys " which allows to create an offline version of any Limesurvey survey. Using the app you can cache the survey on your Android device and the tool even supports automatic response syncing at the background once Internet is available.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • tpartner
More
8 years 1 week ago #134427 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Can I administer surveys offline?
Really? Replying to 4 year old posts? :)

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose