Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Setup a "budget" question type

• starmonkey
  • starmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 2 months ago #54668 by starmonkey
Setup a "budget" question type was created by starmonkey
Hi Guys,

I'm evaluating the use of limesurvey to manage a bunch of "application forms" for a client. Many forms share the data input of a "budget", where the applicant will list the income/expenses of their application as per this example below:

What I'm wondering is - how possible is this within the context of the LS framework, and has something similar been done already?

I was originally hoping I could approximate this with multiple numerical inputs (eg two fields: income + expenses could suffice) but that assumes a predefined list of options, whereas a "budget" can have any number of abitrary (per applicant) options with values.

My next step is to read up on creating my own custom question type which I suspect is the way forward.

cheers,
SM
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
13 years 2 months ago #54691 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Setup a "budget" question type
What about using 3 (or 4) multiple-short-text questions and then a little CSS magic to display the questions side by side. This seems (to me) to be easier than creating a new question type.

It should be fairly easy to map the responses in analysis if you give the questions the same answer codes.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: starmonkey
  • starmonkey
More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #54705 by starmonkey
Replied by starmonkey on topic Setup a "budget" question type
Thanks for the reply.

I had a quick go at setting that up but the problem is that each "row" of the incomes/expenses has 2 values - the text description of each item and its monetary value, eg:

Widgets - $34.99

What I was thinking was that you could define 3 fields/questions:
  1. Incomes - long free text
  2. Expenses - long free text
  3. Budget Totals - multiple numerical input

The 2 x free text questions could be css'd to align side-by-side, and the budget totals question could have 3 subquestions - Total Income, Total Expenses, Net Budget.

The value of "Net Budget" could be computed automatically from the two totals.

Come to think of it, so could the Total Income/Expenses fields since it can assume each line of the textarea fields have a numerical value in there somewhere.

So yeh - a little JS tinkering and we've have a system in place that wouldn't be too hard to use?

// SM
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by starmonkey.
  • tpartner
More
13 years 2 months ago #54710 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Setup a "budget" question type
Yep, that works too but if you want the multis side-by-side you should be able to hide any unwanted text desriptions with CSS/JavaScript.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • starmonkey
More
13 years 2 months ago #54715 by starmonkey
Replied by starmonkey on topic Setup a "budget" question type
Ah yes I understand now what you mean - cheers for the help!
More
11 years 2 months ago #91612 by dweisser
Replied by dweisser on topic Setup a "budget" question type
Ay mates - I know this post is old. But would some lend a non-coder a hand and post the CSS that did the trick here? Scouring the forum for the search term "side by side" and striking out.
Any help would be much appreciated.
-Nebraska

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose