Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Display randomely k out of n questions

• alexusability
  • alexusability's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #119578 by alexusability
Display randomely k out of n questions was created by alexusability
Hi folks,

I am looking for a solution to display randomly 4 out of 8 question groups.
That is, I have the question groups G1, G2, G3, …, G8. Each participant should answer the questions of 4 out of these 8 groups. E.g., groups G3, G5, G7, G8 would be presented to participant A, groups G2, G3, G6, G8 to participant B and so forth.
G1 to G8 belong to the same randomization group, i.e. the four randomly selected groups will be presented in random order.

My current approach:

Because permutation is too much trouble - (n! / (n-k)! k!) = (8! / 4! 4!) = 70 combinations -, I am currently trying a solution with random numbers. If I can have four random numbers as answer to the hidden question qrand1, qrand2, qrand3, qrand4 with the constraint that no random number appears twice (qrand1 != qrand2 != qrand3 != qrand4), I could check with the relevance of the questions group if a corresponding random number was drawn (e.g. for G1: ((qrand1 = 1) OR (qrand2 = 1) OR (qrand3 = 1) OR (qrand4 = 1)). Not pretty, but I think it could work.

I can generate 4 random numbers with different values with java script but I have no idea how I can refer to those numbers in limesurvey (e.g., read a question value from java script or write an integer as a new answer value).

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 11 months ago #119586 by Bigred01
Replied by Bigred01 on topic Display randomely k out of n questions
Check out this post here: www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/design-issue...tion-display-or-hide

There are a couple options in there.
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose