Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

LS updates - changes on theme part files not inherited after customization

• QuoTil
  • QuoTil's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #173191 by QuoTil
Hi folx,

you silently changed the head.twig file from release 3.9.0+180604 to 3.10.0+180611 in the vanilla theme:
Code:
$(document).on('ready pjax:scriptcomplete', function () {
    ajaxHandler.bindActions();
});

to
Code:
$(document).on('ready', function () {
    ajaxHandler.bindActions();
});

I'm not familiar with pjax but this change - or the consequence of it, made that if the event
Code:
pjax:scriptcomplete
would remain in the theme, the
Code:
clearall
functionality broke in the following way:

In 3.9.0+180604 the clearall-process openes a browser alert (or something close to) confirmation dialog. In the latest version it opens a bootstrap modal. If
Code:
pjax:scriptcomplete
remains in the theme because it has been changed due to theme-customization (no chance for inheritance anymore) the modal gets loaded twice. This causes that it doesn't react on click events anymore. The only way out is to reload the page.

This situation could potentially happen with every single LS update so my question is how can I face this problem. The customer I'm doing it for is huge. If this happens during a running survey - :evil:

Shall I set up a theme from the scratch instead?

Don't get me wrong: As a user I really like the theme editor and inheritance/ extension architecture.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by QuoTil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, holch
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 7 months ago #173196 by tpartner
If you experience the problem with the latest version, please file a bug report.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #173200 by LouisGac
markus, who wrote this part of the code, is not here today. I'll ask him to answer you as soon as he's back
  • QuoTil
  • QuoTil's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #173201 by QuoTil
Please ignore this. It was a reply to the previous answer.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by QuoTil.
  • holch
More
5 years 7 months ago #173210 by holch
I agree, this should not happen.

But:

If this happens during a running survey - :evil:

Then you are doing it wrong. ;-)

Don't update during a running survey, if you can avoid it. I know, things like this should not happen, but they do. Thus, we as the user need to protect ourselves from these things by keeping the risk as low as possible when important surveys are running.

If the client is so important, then you should always run a test environment, where you do the update/upgrade first and test it thoroughly. Only once the tests were successful, then you update the production system. This way you should have caught the problem before it went live.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #173215 by DenisChenu
The issue with inheritance is you never can't know if user file was updated. If we update a twig file and you update same twig file : we can not know if your update was compatible.

Mybb ( mybb.com/ ) have a diff system

You can make a Feature request for same system (and better : a pull request or a plugin), but still : you need to track down the difference and fix it yourself.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by DenisChenu.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose