Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

theme directory is not writable after upgrade to 3.9

• joeschwab
  • joeschwab's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #169610 by joeschwab
I just upgraded to Version 3.9.0+180604. I followed the instructions here: manual.limesurvey.org/Upgrading_from_a_previous_version

For some reason, in my themes, my custom theme from the previous version is listed 3 times. And I am unable to edit any files in the theme editor.

At the top of the editor I get a red message that states: You can't save changes because the theme directory is not writable.

I have tried chmod 775 and 777 on the themes dir recursively, but am still unable to edit the theme in the theme editor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 9 months ago #169619 by DenisChenu
There are some issue with previous LimeSurvey version and theme editor. Best i sto report the bug on mantis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #169634 by LouisGac
I don't think it's a bug.
old 2.x are now available in a list so users can download them, but of course, you can't edit them.
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 9 months ago #169645 by DenisChenu

LouisGac wrote: I don't think it's a bug.
old 2.x are now available in a list so users can download them, but of course, you can't edit them.

If it's the case : maybe update this string «You can't save changes because the theme directory is not writable.» ;)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 9 months ago #169650 by LouisGac

DenisChenu wrote:

LouisGac wrote: I don't think it's a bug.

If it's the case : maybe update this string «You can't save changes because the theme directory is not writable.» ;)

good idea
  • joeschwab
More
5 years 9 months ago #169659 by joeschwab
In updating limesurvey, I replaced all files except the config file. as per the instructions. This is a copy of a new default template, so its not a 2.x template issue. Also, in addition to the error message, there is no save button.
  • holch
  • Away
More
5 years 9 months ago #169663 by holch
Did you save your custom theme in the correct place? manual.limesurvey.org/Theme_editor#Template_files_location

If it is a custom theme it should be placed in /upload/templates

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• joeschwab
More
5 years 9 months ago #169666 by joeschwab
I used the template editor interface in limesurvey to copy an existing theme to a new name, and then make local edits through the template editor interface.
  • holch
  • Away
More
5 years 9 months ago #169667 by holch
OK, then it should be in the correct location. I just remembered that we had a case a while ago with similar "symptoms" and they had made a copy of a template folder within the template folder, which caused some trouble. but this seems not to be the case with you.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 7 months ago #172568 by Richigeht
Hello,
I did just upgrade to latest Version 3.14.5+180815 and I have the same issues even though the theme directory is writable and also the other folders which are named through the installation manual have 755 permissions... owner is www-data.

Plus my small modifications I made to the templates before are vanished now... I basically just changed the heading picture. Copying over the old themes from my 3.x installation doesn't allow the surveys to start...

Also upload of pictures ain't working even though the folder permissions are set...
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #172569 by LouisGac
how did you upgrade?
More
5 years 7 months ago #172571 by Richigeht
Thanks for your quick reply.

I followed the instructions: I copied over my upload folder and my config file and then put the new folder in place of the old installation, did start the admin panel and did upgrade like that.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose