Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Mutiple entries in results for one participant

• lemonbrain
  • lemonbrain's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #141614 by lemonbrain
Hi,

2.51.0+160901 with a non-anonymous survey with single-use tokens. The participant database shows a valid 'date completed' for one record but results show two entries:
Code:
id    lastpage  start_date        date_last_action  [other fields]
329    [null]    06/09/2016  12:08:03  06/09/2016 12:08:03  [no data]
377    9      06/09/2016  15:39:51  06/09/2016 15:49:11  [full data]

I'm trying to understand how the system works -- is this expected behaviour?

Thanks,
Martin
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 6 months ago #141621 by jelo

lemonbrain wrote: I'm trying to understand how the system works -- is this expected behaviour?

That is a normal behaviour. One time is counted when the survey is completed. If you have no persistence via cookies activated, you might see many entries with the same token as long as the survey is not completed.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • lemonbrain
More
7 years 6 months ago #141623 by lemonbrain
Replied by lemonbrain on topic Mutiple entries in results for one participant
Thanks! So, the Summary counts - 'full' and 'incomplete' responses - are not mutually exclusive. (I mistakenly assumed respondents, not responses). I'll have to be a lot more careful than I expected when exporting (all-)responses.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 6 months ago #141684 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Mutiple entries in results for one participant
With token you have a settings to link one response to one token (or not). Seems it's false by default. Maybe it can be great if it yes by default.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • lemonbrain
More
7 years 6 months ago #141728 by lemonbrain
Replied by lemonbrain on topic Mutiple entries in results for one participant
Hi Denis,

This survey is running with:

Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token: Off
Code:
"If token-based response persistence is enabled a participant can update his response after completion, else a participant can add new responses without restriction."
(Without the hint text it would be impossible to parse 'Allow A OR B' On/Off)

... and I guess you were referring to ...

Enable token-based response persistence: Off
Code:
"With non-anonymized responses (and the token table field 'Uses left' set to 1) if the participant closes the survey and opens it again (by using the survey link) his previous answers will be reloaded."

A few have responded with separate sessions (e.g., different hosts) and I guess locking might be an issue if someone switches from a mobile to desktop mid-session. In this case, de-duplication did result in minor data loss -- one participant offered varying responses to a few questions.
  • holch
  • Away
More
7 years 6 months ago #141729 by holch
So the first one in setting "OFF" will prevent people from completing more than one survey with the same token. However, if they don't finish the first time, the next time they come they might start a whole new survey, as the first one was incomplete.

You can prevent this only by setting token based response persistence, which means that if you stop responding and come back later to the same token based survey Limesurvey should jump where you left of and you continue this one survey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 5 months ago #143027 by nbond
Is it possible for there to be an incomplete survey with some questions answered, and a complete survey for the same single use survey?

I have an anonymous survey I just administered and for the first time I have an "incomplete" response that had questions answered. I'd like to count the partial data if I can be sure that the person wasn't already counted among the "complete" responses, but can I be sure of that? (Other than trying to match up answers to a completed survey, which I don't want to rely on).
More
7 years 5 months ago #143029 by jelo

nbond wrote: I'd like to count the partial data if I can be sure that the person wasn't already counted among the "complete" responses, but can I be sure of that?

You cannot be sure. It's an anonymous survey. Even with a restricted access via token, a complete and incomplete survey can be done by the same person. Just stick to the complete surveys.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose