Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Conflicting save error

• LeftyMaus
  • LeftyMaus's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #194495 by LeftyMaus
Conflicting save error was created by LeftyMaus
On an annual basis, I've been re-running basically the same survey for a number of years (currently running LimeSurvey v2.73.1). The survey is on the small side, about 20-30 respondents, but there is a lot of information that we ask, with lots of validation, rules and logic.

However, this year we ran into a new kind of error. In at least two occasions, LimeSurvey provides a conflicting on-screen error. The webpage shows the message, “An unexpected error has occurred and your responses cannot be saved...” While at the same time there was a pop-up-message that said, “Your responses were successfully saved.” (see screenshot)

The way I've been able to resolve it is by logging into the LimeSurvey administrative interface and locating the problem record. By entering a small bit of test data directly into the record, this appears to clear the error. But unfortunately the respondent must re-enter everything because despite the message, nothing appears to have been saved. Their record is essentially wiped out.

I'm not entirely sure why this happens, but my best theory is perhaps illegal characters, or maybe an incompatibility between v2.73.1 and version 3. Regardless this is a deal killer. We cannot continue with LimeSurvey with this kind of instability.

Has anyone ran into a similar error, and if so, what resolution did you follow?
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by LeftyMaus. Reason: to direct readers to the screenshot
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #194503 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Conflicting save error

...or maybe an incompatibility between v2.73.1 and version 3.

You said you were running version 2.73.1 so where does version 3 enter into it?

2.73.1 is not supported anymore so I suggest updating to the latest LTS version and retesting. (if moving from 2.x to 3.x, you will need to develop new templates)

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by tpartner.
  • LeftyMaus
More
4 years 1 month ago #194507 by LeftyMaus
Replied by LeftyMaus on topic Conflicting save error
We have avoided updating to version 3.x because we didn't want to recreate our custom template. It allows users to enter information in a grid-like interface. However, this issue may force our hand.

Hopefully the next version will have a shelf-life longer than 4 years.
  • tpartner
More
4 years 1 month ago #194508 by tpartner
I can tell you that 3.x will not be supported for 4 years - 4.x is already released.

Updating from 3.x to 4.x does not require template modifications.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • LeftyMaus
More
4 years 1 month ago #194509 by LeftyMaus
Thanks tpartner. In your opinion, is it possible to know what the best long-term plan is? At this rate I think it makes more sense for us to develop our own custom web-front end rather than lashing our system to the mercy of the LimeSurvey development cycle.

We have been using LimeSurvey since 2009. As you can tell I'm pretty disappointed that a critical error like this would sneak through. Especially when it appears to occur only once the survey is live! We've done tons of testing, and never had this problem on the years we've been subscribing.

Without knowing what the problem is, and whether or not the newest version(s) actually addresses it, I'm not sure I can recommend to my boss that we should keep this up.
  • tpartner
More
4 years 1 month ago #194510 by tpartner
Sorry, I don't work for LimeSurvey GmbH so I can't speak for them or speak to their version release/support plans.

If you are "subscribing" (paying them) I suggest you contact their support directly - www.limesurvey.org/customer-support .

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• LeftyMaus
More
4 years 1 month ago #194511 by LeftyMaus
Yeah, that's actually where I began, before I drafted this forum thread. I ran through the gauntlet of screening questions before I ran into a dead end: www.limesurvey.org/customer-support#partners

I'll try again and see if I get anywhere. Thanks.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #194518 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Conflicting save error
Before any otrher things : you must understand why you have thois issue ....

Add more log here : github.com/SondagesPro/LimeSurvey-Sondag...lper.php#L5507-L5518

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by DenisChenu.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose