Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Embedding Large MP4 Files

• nicelipal
  • nicelipal's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #165020 by nicelipal
Embedding Large MP4 Files was created by nicelipal
Hello!

I would like to embed a mp4 video from my desktop (as in not youtube etc) into my survey. I am not using code, just the video embedding option that is available when creating a question. I tested this out earlier with a small mp4 video and it worked perfectly. I recently tried the same thing with a larger mp4 file (400 mb), it won't upload and is telling me this message "Your browser doesn't support video. Please download the file:". I tried it on multiple browsers and it still didn't work, so I don't think its a browser issue, especially since the uploading had worked fine with the previous video.

Why would it work for the first file and not the second? Is this due to the size of the file? Would converting it into a different file type make a difference? I should probably also mention that I would LOVE to avoid coding if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nicole
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 1 month ago #165037 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Embedding Large MP4 Files
Without accessing the survey with the two mp4 files (one working, one not) I wonder how we could provide any help.

What version of LimeSurvey is used?
Directlink videos are not the best way to provide videos on the web.
You usually provide a video in different formats to ensure that most browsers on most platforms are able to play the video instead offering it as download.

First create a survey and upload both videofiles (small and big one) into one survey.
And check again. MP4 is a container. It is not certain that the small and the big video are encoded in the same way.

www.htmlgoodies.com/html5/client/how-to-...deo-using-html5.html

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • nicelipal
More
6 years 1 month ago #165072 by nicelipal
Replied by nicelipal on topic Embedding Large MP4 Files
Hi Jelo,

Thanks for your reply.

The limesurvey version I'm using is: 2.63.1 + 170305

Good point, I'll have to think about compatibility with other browsers, I'm wondering if it might be easier to upload the video to YouTube (in private settings) and imbed it that way instead?

The survey is created, I have been able to upload the first video no problem, its just the second larger one is giving me troubles.

Thanks!
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 1 month ago #165074 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Embedding Large MP4 Files
Piping from YouTube would definitely be easier and put less load on your server.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • nicelipal
More
6 years 1 month ago #165076 by nicelipal
Replied by nicelipal on topic Embedding Large MP4 Files
OK, I think I might go with that option, thank you for your help.

And now a quick question about the YouTube route, what does enabling the "privacy enhancing mode" option actually do? I can't seem to find anything on it in the forum or guides.

Thanks again.
  • tpartner
More
6 years 1 month ago #165097 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Embedding Large MP4 Files
I would ask that question at YouTube.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose