Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to remove the language switcher

More
4 years 8 months ago #186935 by elsTa0
Replied by elsTa0 on topic How to remove the language switcher
Hej guys,

I am really new with limesurvey and barely understand html and javascript.
I´d also like to hide the languageswitcher for the whole survey (it is not activated, Version 3.16.0+190225) and found this and other forum comments, and the manual page.

Being that new, I just don´t get where to apply it and how exactly. I mostly read about two options.
A) change code in template directly via source code (if that´s even the name, hmm)
B) insert your .languagechanger {display:none;} suggestion.

I am a student, working with a certain template created by my uni, and don´t have administrative rights to the account. Meaning I cannot change anything in the template directly. Until now I kept it on "inherit everything". In my understanding, that excludes option A.

Does that rule out B as well? Or could I just insert the above in theme options, if I switched "inherit everything" off and put that somewhere in the advanced settings? (I tried out files css at some point and everything went strange). After all, I thought I understood that no source code (suppose there´s a slight chance B is also source code :D, but doesn´t need any java-in.) is needed thanks to template.css (it kinda proceeds to the funny question is tempate.css some equivalent to the files css or cssframework css in the advanced settings? ..no?!).

This is probably somewhere in the forum already, I´m sorry about this.
It might seem silly but due to never having done anything code-ish and not having full limesurvey access, I feel I´m missing a really basic understanding of how to use orders like the above in lime (especially when it comes to css).

I´d reeally appreciate a signpost. Please let me know if you need further info.

Thanks a million in advance!
Ell
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 8 months ago #186939 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic How to remove the language switcher
Hi, Ell
You have a lot of ideas. Did you try? Which results?

And you talk about "template.css". So you do not work with version 3.x.
Which one?

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
More
4 years 8 months ago #186946 by elsTa0
Hi!
I doo: it says LimeSurvey Version 3.16.0+190225 at the right hand bottom of my account. I wrote template.css because I read it a lot in Forum comments and thought it still existed. That´s quite a good demo of how i often don´t get whether something is just something i don´t understand yet, or simply part of an older limeSurvey version. ^^

Re ideas + results:
Maybe I explained it badly, but for one I cannot change anything in source code of templates themselves, because i don´t have administrative access. I can only access the options at the bar at the top right side of the screen (see tiny picture).

Attachment not found

That means I haven´t tried option A. (Just read about in in forum.)

Option B ) (which was displayed as B) in my last post), is something i thought might work without using java or actually changing the original template (which cannot be changed since others at the uni use it too). That is, the .languagechanger order.

I did try to ask my super administrator to make a template copy and turn it off in there, but I´m not sure how well she goes about limesurvey because she suggested to simply x out the second languge under additional languges in general settings - something i cannot do, because the default language is German. But this is also the language I`d like to hide, as my survey will be in English only.

So that left me with wanting to tryout .languagechanger {display:none;} as suggested here by holch and tpartner but I just don´t get where to put slash if i can´t put it anywhere because i don´t have administrative rights.

I did simply try putting it in the Files CSS, but was told about 10 times: Error: Malformed JSON: Field files_css must be either a JSON array or the string "inherit". Found "". If I put it in Files Print CSS, it doesn´t give warnings but also doesn´t remove the switch. Same for putting it in Cssframework Css.

Attachment not found

Possible explanations
1. it was never meant to go in the advanced theme settings in the survey,
2. code is wrong or outdated (missing brackets, other signs..),
3. order correct but some setting missing in order for it to work,
4. ???

There´s so much help and input in manual and forum (which is so cool! thanks) but I lack a feel of which order can go in what setting and how/if I´d have to modify forum suggestions for older lime versions. Like when you learn vocabulary but get the grammar all wrong :D - I´m not asking you to do my grammar work though, if that came out wrong.

Does that make sense? (Sorry, I suck at keeping it short.)

More
4 years 8 months ago #186947 by elsTa0
um, the "You do not have permissions to access this page." where actually pictures. It, too, goes beyond my understand. they were previed fine when i inserted them in my question.
More
4 years 8 months ago #187016 by cdorin
Replied by cdorin on topic How to remove the language switcher
Not sure if I understand all the content of your message ^^ , but I wrote some time ago the following guide to help users remove the language switchers from a survey: manual.limesurvey.org/Multilingual_survey#Hints_.26_tips (for LS 3) .

Maybe the Uni IT team can create a template for you with the recommended changes from the above link?

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose