Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Grouping questions within a question group

• AmandaWeiger
  • AmandaWeiger's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #194579 by AmandaWeiger
Grouping questions within a question group was created by AmandaWeiger
Greetings fellow Limesurvey users!

We are currently conducting a study with several question groups. Within every question group there are 3 main questions that each have a few "follow-up" questions.

The problem is, we need to randomize the order of the main questions, but we need the follow up questions to remain linked to the main questions, so that not only the main questions within the question group are randomized, but so that 3 sets of "chains of questions" within the question group are randomized.

Is this possible? If so, how does one create 3 "chains of questions" and randomize them within a question group?
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 1 month ago #194583 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Grouping questions within a question group
You cannot randomize that way within a single group.

You will need to place each primary question and their follow-up questions in separate groups and then randomize the order of those groups.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 1 month ago #194606 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Grouping questions within a question group
This answer didn't give a solution

I think it can be interseting to have such solution in a plugin. I add it to bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=15873

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
4 years 1 month ago #194632 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Grouping questions within a question group
This is why I always wanted to have a "page" concept as well as a "group" concept. Or at least "group" and "subgroups".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #194912 by Indispirit
Replied by Indispirit on topic Grouping questions within a question group
I'd second the idea of a page concept. Just created a survey and used the question groups to provide pagination, but it really they were redundant for such a simple survey.
  • holch
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #194921 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Grouping questions within a question group
Well, as long as you ONLY want control over how to distribute your questions over pages, using "groups" is perfectly fine and doesn't create more or less overhead than a page concept. At the end of the day you "grouping" the questions on a page.

But when you want to show certain questions together on a page, but your logical questions groups differ from that (e.g. you want a group that goes over various pages or you want various groups to be on one page), you can't do it today.

In LS 4 the started to call groups "pages", which doesn't make sense to me, because nothing has changed in the group concept of LS, so the renaming probably will only cause confusion. But anyway, if you really want to support a page concept (in addition to the group concept that we already have), then please do it here:

bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9416

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose