Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Export to queXML pdf doesn't show whole answer

• Rachengold
  • Rachengold's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #181132 by Rachengold
Question-Type: multiple short texts

Printout as quexml pdf shows answers with only 10 small boxes, rest of answer is hidden.
How can I adjust this to show whole answer ?

Target is to get a printout, which can be given away and does not have a technical layout such as export to .pdf / .docx etc. quexml.pdf was the best solution I found, so far.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 1 month ago #181135 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Export to queXML pdf doesn't show whole answer
LimeSurvey version ?

If it's the last one : Bug report

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Rachengold
More
5 years 1 month ago #181138 by Rachengold
Replied by Rachengold on topic Export to queXML pdf doesn't show whole answer

DenisChenu wrote: LimeSurvey version ?

If it's the last one : Bug report

Version ? free version.
How do I bug report ?
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 month ago #181139 by DenisChenu

Rachengold wrote: Version ? free version.

Version (and build) number !

Rachengold wrote: How do I bug report ?

Look at the menu … www.limesurvey.org/community/bug-tracker

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • Rachengold
More
5 years 1 month ago #181140 by Rachengold
Replied by Rachengold on topic Export to queXML pdf doesn't show whole answer
Version: 3.15.9
Database Version 356

I use this online, no download version.
Hope, this helps...
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 month ago #181141 by DenisChenu

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rachengold
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #181273 by gruenkaeppchen
Replied by gruenkaeppchen on topic Export to queXML pdf doesn't show whole answer
I ran into the same problem and have been (kind of) able to figure it out.

The limitation to 10 characters can be found in application/helpers/export_helper.php in the quexml_export function.
I'm here on a test system running 3.15.5 and the lines to look at are starting at line 1587 with a switch statement.
As an example take a look at the "MULTIPLE SHORT TEXT" in line 1644. Here the function quexml_get_lengthth is called with $qid, "maximum_chars" and "10". This function is looking the the "maximum_chars" value for the current question (in the database) and if there is no "maximum_chars" set it will return the default value, which will be "10" in this case.
So what happens now is: if you have a Multiple Short Text and you haven't set the "Maximum characters" value in the Input section for this question the displayed boxes will be limited to 10, no matter how many characters are given in the answer.
You could now change these values here in the code (remember: you shoudn't alter the core's code!). "24" seems to be the value for a DIN A4 paper to fully fill the row. But this dirty little hack will only move the problem from 10 to 24 characters. If you have an answer with more than 24 characters it will be cut off again.
The better and cleaner solution would be to add the "Maximum characters" value in the Input section to all fields affected. Same effect, much cleaner but this will probably take more time.
Either way you will be stuck with the new maximum value. So e.g. if you take "24" here and your answer has more than 24 characters it will be cut off. And if you take "48" here you will always see two full lines of boxes, even if the answer has only a few characters!
So the perfect solution to me would be that limesurvey would add only the second and any further line here (up to the value given in "Maximum characters") if the answer needs this space. But there need some more lines of code to be added here.

Hope that helps!

PS: I would have put this in the bug tracker, but as my limesurvey account has been set up and linked to GitHub and the bug tracker doesn't seem to like or support this.... :/.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rachengold

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose