Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

The difference between NO and Null on a mutiple choice question

• GuernseyResearch
  • GuernseyResearch's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #180575 by GuernseyResearch
I have a mandatory question with a yes/no option.
If yes the next question will be asked, if no it will be skipped.

The next question is a multiple choice of "pick all that apply" and it will be mandatory.

If the question is asked there will be some items marked yes (checked) and some marked no. In a data download via Excel these will be a 1 or a 2.

If the question is skipped and therefore not answered all responses are NO rather than a NULL.

This upsets my data by giving me a NO answer instead of a NON-ANSWER. I cannot set a default to anything but checked or unchecked. Is there any way to get the download to show a null rather than a no?
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 2 months ago #180577 by jelo

GuernseyResearch wrote: The next question is a multiple choice of "pick all that apply" and it will be mandatory./quote]Can you provide a survey LSS export with just these two questions? What version of LimeSurvey is used?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #180581 by DenisChenu
It's NULL in database , vs "" for not checked

Maybe you can test with gitlab.com/SondagesPro/ExportAndStats/ex...pleteAnswers.php#L67

(used here : gitlab.com/SondagesPro/ExportAndStats/ex...swersWriter.php#L177 )

Don't remind if it work for multiple choice.

But : you can do your own Export plugin to have 0,1,2 surely.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • GuernseyResearch
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #180584 by GuernseyResearch
I am using the most recent LS LimeSurvey Version 3.15.9+190214

A sample of the question is at
grquestions.com/ask/index.php/684294?lang=en

Lss export is attached

I do understand that within the database there is a difference in the answers, but in the export they are the same. I doubt I am capable of building a plug-in to make a different export.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by GuernseyResearch. Reason: added text and attachment
  • GuernseyResearch
More
5 years 1 month ago #180585 by GuernseyResearch
Thank you SO MUCH, that appears to do exactly what I need. Your help is very much appreciated.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 month ago #180594 by DenisChenu

GuernseyResearch wrote: Thank you SO MUCH, that appears to do exactly what I need. Your help is very much appreciated.

Dave

No issue on 3.15.9+190214 for the export plugin ?
Good to know :).

Must send to the LimeStore …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • GuernseyResearch
More
5 years 1 month ago #180630 by GuernseyResearch
It works well with the most recent version.
One important note in my research.
A question which is skipped by the logic, even if mandatory, contains real NULL information.
But a question which is viewed and skipped contains information which appears as NO rather than NULL.
I was unable to apply the new export to an old data file and get the desired NULL results.
My test survey confirms the difference between a question never seen and a question just skipped.
This will impact some future survey designs where the difference between NULL and NO impacts the statistical results.
Thank you again for the help.
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 month ago #180645 by DenisChenu
About NULL : there are an issue in LimeSurvey : we can not save empty value for some question type : Numeric and Date.
Then this question type don't have difference in DB between Not view and not answered.

A question which is skipped by the logic, even if mandatory, contains real NULL information.
But a question which is viewed and skipped contains information which appears as NO rather than NULL.

Yes : for a lot of question :).

I was unable to apply the new export to an old data file and get the desired NULL results.

Maybe numeric question ?

• GuernseyResearch
More
5 years 1 month ago #180676 by GuernseyResearch

Maybe numeric question ?

No - the old survey did not "skip" questions, so they were all "viewed" and therefore had NO rather than NULL. Not an issue, but we will be designing the logic differently for future surveys so that the non-mandatory will be skipped if they have an influence on the statistics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose