Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Conditions with multiple groups of questions

• FeCanever
  • FeCanever's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #179710 by FeCanever
Hi, all!

I'm designing a survey that consists of presenting each participant with 4 stimuli (out of a total of 32) + 4 distractors (always the same), and, for each of them, 3 questions are asked. I will then randomly assign to each participant one of the 8 study conditions (8 groups of 4 pre-determined stimuli + 4 distractors, all 8 with their respective 3 questions). I thought an option would be to create 8 question groups, each with 8 question subgroups inside that would also be randomized, but there doesn’t seem to be possible to have question subgroups inside a question group, or is it?

Assuming that it’s not possible to have question subgroups, I thought I’d create 32 question groups + 4 distractors’ question groups, using rand() to assign 1 one the 8 conditions to each participant, and then somehow indicate in the question groups which condition they belong to.

I tested it with 4 question groups:
- created a hidden equation question with {if(random >= 1, random, rand(1, 2))}
- created question groups for each of 4 stimuli
- wrote (random ==1) in the relevance box for 2 question groups and (random ==2) in the relevance box for the other 2.

When I preview the survey, I get one question group from each of the conditions instead of getting the 2 questions groups of the same condition. Clearly I’m doing something wrong. Is this solution viable?

If yes, besides being able to show both questions belonging to same condition, I also don't know how to go about the distractors’ groups, which should appear in all of the conditions, randomly displayed together with the assigned 4 stimuli groups.

I’m so sorry if this is a silly question. I keep searching for answers in the forum but I really don’t know what to do.

I'm attaching my survey file. The version I'm using is 3.13.2+180709

I'd really appreciate any help.

~Fernanda
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 2 months ago #179714 by jelo
Your random equation question contains html code, which is than part of the variable random.
Code:
<pre>
{if(random >= 1, random, rand(1, 2))}</pre>
Clean the question from them and then try again.
There might be some more issues.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • FeCanever
  • FeCanever's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #179720 by FeCanever
Replied by FeCanever on topic Conditions with multiple groups of questions
Thanks, Jelo!

I did what you told me to, and now I get all questions of each condition.

As for the distractor groups, I understand they appear to every participant if I don't write anything in their relevance field. To randomly present them, I'm adding "distractor" to the randomization group field in the group settings of all distractor groups. It seems to be working. I'll go ahead and test with all the stimuli.

Thanks again!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose