Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

SMTP Email Question

• BBCMResearch
  • BBCMResearch's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #166538 by BBCMResearch
SMTP Email Question was created by BBCMResearch
Hi everyone,

One of our surveys uses an SMTP email function to send batches to about 80,000 participants, but we've had to limit our batch size to only a few thousand at a time to keep our server from timing out. I know there are a lot posts around her about how to simplify large email batches, including 3-4 very good php scripts and plugins.

I don't do anything on the server-side though, other than ask our admin to fix things for me. He doesn't check these forums because he doesn't build and analyze surveys. So I'm asking on his behalf, so he can see if he can tweak our server to improve our email capabilities:

When LimeSurvey sends out an email batch, does it engage multiple Apache workers?

I'm not sure what that means, but if someone could answer it for me, my admin would appreciate it.

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #166548 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic SMTP Email Question

BBCMResearch wrote: When LimeSurvey sends out an email batch, does it engage multiple Apache workers?

The questions is where and what is timinig out.
LimeSurvey is using the phpmailer class for sending emails. The communication via SMTP is between php and mailserver. The Apache is not involved in the sending procedure itself. Apache delivers HTML to your browser.

Perhaps the SMTP-server is not able to receive 80.000 emails in its queue. The timeout might be prevented when raising the timeouts of LimeSurvey. Or optimizing the SMTP-server.
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...pmailer/src/SMTP.php

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: BBCMResearch
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose