Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Pictures in survey: can you prevent them from being downloaded?

• dlemaitr
  • dlemaitr's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149554 by dlemaitr
Got a question of one of my users today. She was wondering if she could somehow prevent people from downloading pictures used in the survey? Is this something you can do in Limesurvey?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149557 by holch
Welcome to the internet. Whatever you show on someones screen somehow needs to be on his/her computer.

There is no way you can effectively avoid that pictures shown on the internet are saved. There might be some things you can do to prevent the most inexperienced to get the pictures, but I don't think it is even worth the effort.

The easiest method to get the images is a screenshot.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149559 by DenisChenu
No, we can nnot do this on any website ... it's web

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • dlemaitr
  • dlemaitr's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149562 by dlemaitr
I know, but some sites have protection that you can't right click and save the picture that way. I was wondering if something like that existed.
  • holch
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #149563 by holch
The "no right click" thing can surely be applied, but it is no protection of the images at all. You can deactivate Javascript, you can have screenshots, you can look into the source code to find out where the image is saved.

You can tell your user that there is no effective way to protect the images, except for not displaying them on the internet.

As I said, you can try to implement those things like preventing right click, but it is not an effective protection and I don't think they are even worth the effort. A quick click on "print screen" and it is done. Picture is "stolen", even with right click protection (which also can be easily ommited).

Best thing: accept that nothing that you display on the internet is save. This is not a Limesurvey specific issue, this has to do with how the internet works.

You can of course search for the right click protection and implement it in Limesurvey. Just search for it on the internet.

In my opinion: not even worth the time to search for these solutions.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlemaitr
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149564 by jelo

dlemaitr wrote: I know, but some sites have protection that you can't right click and save the picture that way. I was wondering if something like that existed.

There are a lot of techniques which can make it a bit harder to download things.
But I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle.
Deactivating right-click is something I wouldn't do. you can still save the complete page via the browser and have a copy of the image there.

In marketresearch the images are sometimes watermarked. Companies offer their services around image / video protection. The whole thing of protecting stimulus is not depending on LimeSurvey.
The same techniques would apply for every website with images or videos.

www.patrick-wied.at/blog/image-protection-on-the-web

webresourcesdepot.com/10-ways-to-protect...s-from-being-stolen/

You can use these techniques not to gain confidentiality. Someone can just film the survey via cam.
That cannot be stopped, even though some techniques from the cinema industry working on hidden signals to stop mobile phones from filming.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149609 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: ... You can tell your user that there is no effective way to protect the images, except for not displaying them on the internet. ...

Yes , +1 : don't be a liar.

Publishing on the internet, the word include public : then : it's published on internet => it's public.

In my opinion: not even worth the time to search for these solutions.

+1

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose