Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Using the question index om smaller screens

• tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 3 months ago #129351 by tammo
In taking our template designs a step further, we are now looking at the way a question index can/should be responsive when changing the screen size the survey is being looked at.

This demo survey gives you an example of what we have thusfar. But next to the design we have had some discussions, which I want to lay before you, as users of LimeSurvey.
  • Our designer pointed out that the icon that is used in the upper righthand corner, is well known among people that intensively use their mobile phone or tablet.
  • I doubt that people that use mainly desktop/laptop computers will see & recognize this icon, that is used for opening/closing the question index.
  • Should the question index be shown in opened state once the user begins responding? Same on mobile/desktop? By showing the question index in an opened stat, the respondent may (1) see the uses of the question index and close it and start responding or (2) be overwhelmed by a big index and decide to leave the survey
  • Is the index used at all? I have seen uses of it, but not often? What are use cases? May we see them?

We would very much like to hear opinions on the "responsifying the question index"

Thanks in advance.

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 3 months ago #129354 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Using the question index om smaller screens
My client use it only when testing or for Phone survey. Don't know another situation

Then showing at the same place (always) is a really good way fo us.
SkeletonQuest use this sytem : demonstration.sondages.pro/992834

I think we must have "plugin" for template .... git.framasoft.org/Shnoulle/SkeletonQuest...ster/template.js#L12 but have some settings to for tabe responsive (4 way responsive)

For example : allow user to choose if he want to always show index or not here.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tammo
  • tpartner
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #129372 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Using the question index om smaller screens
I think that regardless of the use-cases, the question index should be available for the survey authors.

How about this:
- The index is always hidden on page load (so, as you suggest, respondents aren't frightened away)
- At desktop screen sizes (say, above 760px wide), the "hamburger menu" icon is hidden but the "Question index" text is visible, perhaps with a "down" icon
- Clicking on that text toggles the index display.
- At smaller screen sizes, the "hamburger menu" icon is used to toggle the index.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tammo
  • tammo
More
8 years 3 months ago #129373 by tammo
"should be available for the survey authors": what do you mean by that? When you switch it on during development phase, it is available isn't it? If you don't need it after development, you can switch it off before the survey goes live.

Or do I misunderstand you?

respondage.nl
  • tpartner
More
8 years 3 months ago #129375 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Using the question index om smaller screens
I simply meant do not completely hide it with the template CSS. It seemed to me that your questions "Is the index used at all? I have seen uses of it, but not often?" indicated that you were considering hiding it altogether.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • tammo
More
8 years 3 months ago #129377 by tammo
Oh no, I see no reason for completely hiding it with CSS, since you can switch it on/off in the backend. I am just looking for the best way to show it, both on small screens as well as large screens. Both for computer literates as well as computer illiterates.

From Denis I learnt that he mainly uses it during development, to quickly jump between the survey pages (groups).

But recently we had a conversation with a possible customer that wanted to use the index with use of the expression manager: depending n certain answers, complete groups would be shown or not. This would result in some kind of dynamic index. I wonder if that concept would work when the index is hidden under a hambuger menu.

Currently I tend towards a dropdown (via hamburger menu) on small screens and an index that is constantly visible on larger screens, possibly on the right/left of the screen. This would have to be switchable. This can be done in CSS, but I would prefer it differently, for emaple by a switch on survey level in the backend.

I only I knew how much surveys really make use of the question index. Is it worth the trouble developing this?

respondage.nl
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 3 months ago #129398 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Using the question index om smaller screens

tammo wrote: .....
But recently we had a conversation with a possible customer that wanted to use the index with use of the expression manager: depending n certain answers, complete groups would be shown or not. This would result in some kind of dynamic index. I wonder if that concept would work when the index is hidden under a hambuger menu.

Actually complete index sho all group if not already seen.
Some dev to do.

"Survey solution":
- Hide the index if no JS
- Create a jquery in survey description with someting like this : if("{ExpressionManagerExprsssion}"==""){ $("#index [data-gid=123]").remove(); }

"Plugin solution" : we don't have actualy a way to update INDEX without javascript.

See Feature Request :
1 bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=8300#c27091
2 I don't find it , but i'm sure to have a Feature request to Add and Update "Replacement" string

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose