Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Set the answer for one question based on answer to previous question

• chatthreads
  • chatthreads's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #82636 by chatthreads
Using v 1.92, how do I set the answer of a question based on the answer to a previous question? Say I have a question called "age" (list-radio type) with values of 18 through 54 and I want to set the value of a hidden question called "age_category" with answer options of 18-24, 25-34, and 35-54 where the answer codes are 1,2,3 and 4 respectively. So if respondent answers 18 for "age" then their value for "age_category" should be '1'.

I know I can use the "equation" question type to store a value in the database using this:

{if(age<=24,'1',if(age<35,'2',if(age<=45,'3',if(age<=54,'4','5'))))}

But I need the value written to a hidden list (radio) question type.

Is there a way to do this with the new Expression Manager and relevance equations or do I need to use JavaScript?

Thanks in advance!
The topic has been locked.
  • chatthreads
More
11 years 9 months ago #82659 by chatthreads
I have also tried various equations in the age_cat question (which is a list-radio type). I have tried the following in the Relevance Equation box for the age_cat question:

{if(age<=24,age_cat=='1',if(age<35,age_cat=='2',if(age<=45,age_cat=='3',if(age<=54,age_cat=='4',age_cat=='5'))))}

and then separately tried this too:

{if(age.NAOK<=24,age_cat.NAOK=='1',if(age.NAOK<35,age_cat.NAOK=='2',if(age.NAOK<=45,age_cat.NAOK=='3',if(age.NAOK<=54,age_cat.NAOK=='4',age_cat.NAOK=='5'))))}

... but neither of these work the way I want them to.

Any thoughts?
  • TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 9 months ago #82661 by TMSWhite

chatthreads wrote: I know I can use the "equation" question type to store a value in the database using this:

{if(age<=24,'1',if(age<35,'2',if(age<=45,'3',if(age<=54,'4','5'))))}

But I need the value written to a hidden list (radio) question type.

Why do you need it stored in a hidden list (radio) question type instead of just in an Equation question type (which will store the value to the database). So that you can use the statistics reporting options, or some other reason?

There isn't currently the ability to assign values (single equals sign) within EM, although it was designed to support that - that feature just hasn't been implemented yet.
  • chatthreads
More
11 years 9 months ago #82663 by chatthreads
Thanks Tom. I need the list (radio) button for custom reporting we do. We will continue using JavaScript then which is how we have accomplished this in the past. Thanks!
  • chatthreads
More
11 years 9 months ago #82664 by chatthreads
Forgot to mention we also wanted to use it for quotas and I'm not sure that we can use an equation question type for that purpose.
  • TMSWhite
More
11 years 9 months ago #82667 by TMSWhite
I just tried supporting equations within quotas, but it looks as though only enumerated choices in general (e.g. ones with answer lists rather than numeric or free text entry) can be supported by the quota system as designed).

So, perhaps a wish list for the future is to either extend the quota system, or add a "quota" advanced question attribute and let it support EM with some new extensions so that you can do the equivalent of:
Code:
db_count(q1,'==',5) < 100

To mean "only allow up to 100 responses where q1 == 5", or
Code:
db_count(q3 '<=' 4) < 50

To mean "only allow up to 50 responses where q3 <= 4"; or compound expressions.

Another advantage of this is that you could have quotas be applied with each page submission so that users can be exited out of the survey early, and not just at the very end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chatthreads
  • chatthreads
More
11 years 9 months ago #82669 by chatthreads
Thanks Tom. This is a good idea to extend the quota, but if it were up to me I would actually prefer just to be able to set the value of a list (radio) question type and run the quota off of that. This assumes that the way it would ultimately work, once enabled, would be that you set the value to the list (radio) question based on the relevance equation for that question. Meaning you wouldn't have to first create an "equation" question type and then ALSO have to create a hidden list (radio) question as well. But if you can just create a hidden question, set the value to that question based on a relevance equation, and then run the quota off of the hidden question then I think that's the better long term strategy (again, this is just for how I would envision wanting to use it).
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
11 years 9 months ago #82695 by Mazi

TMSWhite wrote: I just tried supporting equations within quotas, but it looks as though only enumerated choices in general (e.g. ones with answer lists rather than numeric or free text entry) can be supported by the quota system as designed).

Correct! That's also quite a limitation when it comes to numeric questions e.g when aksing for the participants age. So being able to somehow use EM relevance statements would be a huge improvement.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • TMSWhite
More
11 years 9 months ago #82804 by TMSWhite
chatthreads -

TMSWhite wrote: There isn't currently the ability to assign values (single equals sign) within EM, although it was designed to support that - that feature just hasn't been implemented yet.

Actually, it turns out that that feature was implemented - just not fully tested. It will be available in the next 1.92+ release. So, you could use an EM expression to set the value for a different hidden variable.
  • Mazi
More
11 years 9 months ago #82830 by Mazi
Can you give an example what this feature can be used for?

Does some documentation and/or a sample survey already exist?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose