Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

User groups - Perfect isolation of surveys

• cavo789
  • cavo789's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #189976 by cavo789
Good morning all,

In our company, we use the latest version of LimeSurvey in order to ask training participants to give their feedback xxx days after training sessions are finished.

My task is to export LS data to CSV files so we can upload and make reports in our company BI tool (so I'm more a DB query/ API user). I've, actually, really few knowledge in the administration of LS.

My question: with LS, is it possible to create a few administrators (i.e. people with the right to log in in the admin part) but with restricted access to their own domain.

Let's imagine a company with several domains : HR, Training, Sales, Marketing and so on. Does LS supports ACLs and make easy to define an admin for the marketing domain so that person can manage his / her surveys totally alone but, of course, can't see surveys of others (Marketing can only see marketing, HR can only see HR, ...).

Should we install one instance by domain (I suppose not) ?

Thanks a lot for any tips and guidance.

Christophe
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 6 months ago #189979 by jelo

cavo789 wrote: Does LS supports ACLs and make easy to define an admin for the marketing domain so that person can manage his / her surveys totally alone but, of course, can't see surveys of others.

A complete ACL or RBAC feature is not implemented. You might need to check in detail if you can find a permission setting which works for you organization.

manual.limesurvey.org/Manage_users#Examples

cavo789 wrote: Should we install one instance by domain (I suppose not) ?

That is currently the only solution with no strings attached.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: cavo789
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 6 months ago #189999 by holch
Replied by holch on topic User groups - Perfect isolation of surveys
I think it is possible, but if I remember it is a little weird. I think it was something like not giving the right to modify surveys or something stupid. People can still modify their own surveys, but not those of others. As for me the use case is not very relevant, I never looked into this further, but I remember that there are a couple of topics here in the forum with examples on how to set the rights of the survey admins to achieve this. The super admin has access to everything though. Keep this in mind.

Have a look in the forum, there should be a couple of threads about the topic with screenshots of the permission settings, if I recall right.

And the final solution is one instance per domain, if the permissions don't allow what you are trying to do. Currently the permission system of LS is relatively basic and can not cover every use case yet.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Joffm
More
4 years 6 months ago #190003 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic User groups - Perfect isolation of surveys
To restrict a user to see only his own surveys, it is this setting in red.

The other options (templates, plugins, labels, ...) is up to you.

But as I understood the idea was to restrict the access to a user group.
That 3 persons in group HR have their own account, but may see the surveys of the other members of HR, but not of the other departments.

And here is this statement

So for a group of users I have no idea.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • cavo789
  • cavo789's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #190015 by cavo789
Replied by cavo789 on topic User groups - Perfect isolation of surveys
Many, many thanks to all of you; really ! **THANK YOU.**

If I correctly understand ... it'll be very difficult if not impossible.

Yes, the idea was to create several groups (HR group for users A, B and C in group HR, Marketing group for G and H and Sales group for users X, Y and Z for instance) and give permissions to groups. A, B and C can create surveys, manage participants, ... for HR surveys. You're right Joffm; not "user" based permission but "group" based permission.

And, why not in an ideal world, give permission to user A to be in both group HR and Training (which is a specialized team of the HR department). User A can, in the ideal world, be part of many groups and have the sum of all permission of these groups.

If I correctly understand, it'll be very difficult to have only one installation of LimeSurvey and make a perfect isolation of surveys / participants / templates / settings / ... based on groups.

So, two more questions please :

1. Is there any solution, even paid solution, that can help to achieve this objective ?

2. If not, so, do you recommend not to lose time with this approach and simply create one instance of LimeSurvey for each domain ? (one LS for HR, one LS for Marketing, ...). One thing makes me think that this is the right approach, it is that the people in the Training team created dozens of surveys / week also, already with them alone, we have a number of surveys (and therefore physical tables in the database) already very important. But, inconvenient, we need then to manage a lot of installations / databases / ... for, in fact, the same feature which is send surveys.

Thank you for your help.

Christophe
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #190016 by jelo
I recommend to install LimeSurvey version 3 and version 4 (still Release candidate, so not usable for production) instance. Check the permissions for yourself.

manual.limesurvey.org/Manage_user_groups...ions_to_a_user_group

After the evaluation give feedback in form of a feature request.

A real RBAC is mentioned from time to time. But most LimeSurvey installations have only a handful of adminaccounts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-based_access_control

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by jelo.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose