Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Using quotas for drop-down lists/choose another option

• shelleybacon
  • shelleybacon's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #189873 by shelleybacon
First, I don't know code and can't effectively add that to a survey to accomplish what I want. Hopefully there is an easier way!

I have a survey we are using for students to register for an event where they choose a class for two different time frames. We have 17 classes to choose from, but each class has a limited size (i.e. 20, 14, etc.). If I create a drop-down list for a question (Morning session: 10:30-12:00) of all the possible classes and create quotas for each one based on the number of students they can take for that session, I want the question to work in this manner:

1. Student selects an option from the drop-down list.
2. If the quota has not been met for that option, student selects that option and goes on to the next question.
3. If the quota HAS been met for that option, student gets a message of "Sorry. This class is full. Please select another one."
4. Student remains on that same question and chooses another option.
5. If the quota has not been met for that option, student selects it and goes on to the next question.
6. If the quota has been reached, student is again directed to select another class, etc., until he/she finds one that is available.

Can I do this? Please??? I don't want to disqualify anyone from the survey. I don't want to terminate the survey for anyone. I just want them to go back and choose another option if that one is full (quota has been reached), and NOT be able to select it.

Thank you for your help. This survey has to be ready to go live at 8 am PT Tuesday morning 10/15/19!

Shelley Bacon
shelley.bacon@ucaa.org
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 5 months ago #189875 by Joffm
Here you find an example of a very similar problem.
The text is German, but there is google.translate.
www.limesurvey.org/de/foren/german-forum...it-limesurvey#187399

But you need some knowledge of php and MySQL
This is because you need to query the database to see how many of the previous respondents selected which classes.
Unfortunately the LS quota management still is a bit simple.
You have no access to variables like "quota_Done" or "quota_Todo".

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose