Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Pick 5 out 15 questions at random

• skyman12345
  • skyman12345's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #184288 by skyman12345
Pick 5 out 15 questions at random was created by skyman12345
Hi there,

So I'm trying to have LimeSurvey pick 5 out of 15 questions at random for each user. I've tried using the group randomization as described in manual.limesurvey.org/Question_groups_-_...estion_group_actions but in my case this would essentially only randomize between the three questions previously selected for each group.

letter=questions, number=randomization group
a-1 b-2 c-3 d-4 e-5 f-1 g-2 h-3 i-4 j-5 k-1 l-2 m-3 n-4 o-5

Within group 1 it would only randomly pick either a,f,k and so on for the other groups. But I want 5 random picks between a and o.

Any ideas?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 10 months ago #184299 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Pick 5 out 15 questions at random
This is quite confusing.

At the moment, you have created 5 randimization groups with 3 questions each.

So you are not choosing 5 out 15 randomly, but you are choosing actually 1 out of 3, and this 5 times. So I think we first need to set very, very clear what you are really trying to do.

Because if your goal is to show randomly 5 out of the 15 questions avaliable, you need to approach this totally differently.

You would need to create 2 question groups, one with 5 questions, one with 10 questions, then give ALL of the 15 questions the same randomization group name and hide the group with 15 questions. What happens is that the 15 questions are positioned randomly between the two question groups, but as only the question group with 5 questions is shown, you will get 5 questions out of the pool of 15 shown randomly.

The randomization always only happens within the same randomization group, so if you create 5 randomization groups with 3 questions each, it will only randomize the 3 questions within each randomization group, because YOU told Limesurvey so.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, tpartner, skyman12345
  • skyman12345
  • skyman12345's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #184345 by skyman12345
Replied by skyman12345 on topic Pick 5 out 15 questions at random
Thanks for your reply holch!

So I followed your instructions and it works.

"2 question groups, one with 5 questions, one with 10 questions, then give ALL of the 15 questions the same randomization group name and hide the group with 15 questions"
I assume you meant to hide the group with 10 questions though. To hide this group I simply set relevance to "0".

But of course it's still a bit more complicated. I am hoping to have a follow up question appear after randomly picking the main question. However, the follow up question would be specific to the main question.
As how to realize this I have no idea. Is this even possible?

Cheers
  • holch
More
4 years 10 months ago #184359 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Pick 5 out 15 questions at random

I assume you meant to hide the group with 10 questions though. To hide this group I simply set relevance to "0".

Yes, sorry, that was a typo. Should be the group with 10 questions. So ok, this seems to work, correct?

But now there is an additional factor coming in, that will make something relatively simple, a lot more complicated.

So each of the 15 questions has an additional question which should be taylored to the main question.

With the current system, this will not work. Hmmm, maybe it works.

Can you give an example of how the first question looks like and how the second question looks like? How are they connected?

Depending on how your questions are designed, you could add to the first group with the 5 questions always 1 question after the main questions (and don't include them into the randomziation group, so these 5 questions are static) and maybe there is a way to pipe something from the main question into the second question. But without knowing your question structure, it is impossible to find a solution for this. At least for me.

Maybe Tpartner or Joffm have a good idea.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose