Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Randomize & Automatically Number Questions within specific Groups

• rpfohl
  • rpfohl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #183090 by rpfohl
I am trying to figure out how I can automatically number just assessment within my survey as I have a section of demographics questions when the assessment begins which I do not want numbered and then some questions at the end (like a post survey) which I also do not want to number. Also the automatically numbered questions need to be randomized as well so I want the randomization to happen only for the assessment questions. It seems that the automatic numbering applies to every question you create so I am trying to work around that. I believe I can do randomization if I assign all the questions to the same group, is that correct?
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 11 months ago #183163 by cdorin
I am not sure if I understand what you want to achieve. Could you please explain again by providing more details + working example? (.lss)

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rpfohl
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 11 months ago #183167 by Joffm
In my opinion you just want to randomize some questions.
And the answer to your last question is "Yes"

What you are talking about the question number is more or less irrelevant. This is just the auto increment value in the database.

Joffm

I did not answer earlier, because I didn't want to read your post without any linefeeds / carriage returns. I am sure there is this key on your keyboard.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: rpfohl
  • rpfohl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #183171 by rpfohl
Thanks for your response. So when a survey is executed there is an initial page that captures demographics info. Then when the demographics info is captured the next page is the first question of the assessment. The users go through each of the questions and end with some post-assessment questions on a final page. So let's say I have 10 demo questions on page 1, 25 survey questions (all on their own pages) and then a final page of 5 questions to capture their impression of the survey.

If I turn-on automatic page numbering the first question of the survey (let's call it "How likely are you to collaborate as a member of this team") shows up like this "11. How likely are you to collaborate as a member of this team." It should show up as "1. How likely are you to collaborate as a member of this team" but it is numbering the demographics questions also. The reason I am using LimeSurvey's numbering is because I want the questions to be random so that #1 is not always "1. How likely are you to collaborate as a member of a team but could be another question." Question grouping should take care of my randomization solution but I am still unsure how to focus the question section as 1-25 without having the demographics and post-survey questions page added to the numbering. The only way I know how to do this is to manually place numbers on the questions but then I cannot randomize those questions. Hopefully that is more clear and provides you more info on what I am trying to do.
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
4 years 11 months ago #183183 by tpartner
You can get the sequential number of a question with the Expression Manager Qcode.qseq variable - manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager#Access_to_Variables

This is sequential regardless of group randomization.

So, in your example, you would want to use something like:
Code:
{Qcode.qseq-9}

Sample survey attached:

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...4621.lss
File Size:19 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rpfohl, cdorin
  • holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #183189 by holch
Pretty cool idea. I did not know that this .qseq exists. But then I thought, wait Tpartner, this doesn't make sense, it still doesn't start with 1...

But I should have know better. Tpartner delivers. Minus 9. Genius. ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
  • Away
More
4 years 11 months ago #183190 by tpartner

But then I thought, wait Tpartner, this doesn't make sense, it still doesn't start with 1...

Nope, it's an index so it starts at 0.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • rpfohl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #183196 by rpfohl
Thanks, I will check this out.
  • rpfohl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #183237 by rpfohl
Thanks again Tony, so it appears this randomizes the questions as well as the question groups which gives me some other ideas as I try to solution this for my client.

www.screencast.com/t/gWEQv82EqImi
www.screencast.com/t/cWOXnRFHkFv
www.screencast.com/t/jKJX8vOG
www.screencast.com/t/jcN0csTRc4
  • rpfohl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #183238 by rpfohl
My bad, this was only for numbering, I forgot I added these questions to a Randomization group name which is why they came through as random. So now the only unsolved piece here is how I properly apply all of this. The numbers are coming through fine, the demographics are not part of that numbering but the numbered questions are not random unless they are in a randomization group however when I do this the Question groups are not matching the Questions. So my screenshots are related to that scenario.
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
4 years 11 months ago #183328 by tpartner
You lost me. I thought the intention was to randomize the question order but have sequential numbering. Why do you care about the group order?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• rpfohl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #183345 by rpfohl
That is correct however, as you know, the question type messes that up. This is more complicated than I thought as there is one more variable to consider. Let me get all of this into an LSS and you can see what I am referring to so its more clear. I'll get back to this forum.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose