Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

The survey response table could not be created.

• surveySn
  • surveySn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #180170 by surveySn
Usually this is caused by having too many (sub-)questions in your survey. Please try removing questions from your survey.

I need help:woohoo:
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #180177 by LouisGac
each time I've seen that, it was because different survey were compiled in a single one.
Ex:

First question is : "what is your X? A. B. C. or D."

then, there is a whole survey for A, another one for B, etc

You should just split your survey in different smaller surveys. Remember that a survey can redirect to an another one.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by LouisGac.
More
5 years 1 month ago #180181 by jelo

LouisGac wrote: You should just split your survey in different smaller surveys. Remember that a survey can redirect to an another one.

Splitting is no option, when survey design is demaining filtering and piping over different surveys. Using parameter via GET is no real option if you have more than a question. URLEndDecoding is not directly supported via ExpressionScript.

Implementing a capable databasedesign is the way to go.
The workaround is to reduce, redesign or split.

For thirdparty provider it's no option, cause they have to explain their customers, why a surveydesign working in other surveytools, needs to be splitted in LimeSurvey. No option for a researcher, which needs to replicate a survey 1:1.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #180182 by LouisGac
jelo: in scientifically field, a very long survey is considerate as a very bad one.
people trends to answer less seriously when the survey is too long, so it's a bias.

Also, in the example I gave, the first question is just a way to select between different surveys.

I don't know what is trying to do surveySn, but the fact that he reached the limitation can be the sign that he did something wrong.
  • surveySn
  • surveySn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #180183 by surveySn
How does the exported data correspond to each other?
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 month ago #180185 by LouisGac

surveySn wrote: How does the exported data correspond to each other?

when you activate a survey, a new table is created in the Data Base, with at least one column by question/subquestion.
More
5 years 1 month ago #180187 by jelo

LouisGac wrote: jelo: in scientifically field, a very long survey is considerate as a very bad one.
people trends to answer less seriously when the survey is too long, so it's a bias.

Yes, the shorter the better. LimeSurvey seems to demand more questions (e.g workarounds) than other tools too. And many questions in the database isn't automatically converting into a long survey for the respondent.

But let's stick to your main knowledge domain. Scientifically the database design of LimeSurvey is what?

Holch often thought, it is a niche issue (with limits around database tables).
E.g. here:
www.limesurvey.org/forum/installation-a-...eated-database-error

But in 2019 holch stated:

Which is why I said that I thought people were crazy when they ran into the limit. But then I had a not so absurd real life example and was surprised how quickly you can run into trouble.

My example: a total of 52 departments in a company (over several regions). First question was an array, so 52 columns gone. Next question was a array numbers with 7 answer options 52 subquestions, another 364 columns gone. Then 2 open ended questions with 52 different subquestions each, another 104 columns gone. So far we are at about 520, half of what should be safe. But now there should be about 4-5 loops of this and it should all be done in one survey. We could have simulated this via end url and additional questions, but I had an extremely complicated matrix for the token table, which would have totally exploded the whole thing. I guess the main problema was this matrix, where for each respondent we needed to determine for which of those 52 departments he/she can give responses, anyway. I think it would have been a headache in Limesurvey, if at all possible. So I passed the headache on to an external provider.

www.limesurvey.org/de/community/forum/ca...-be-activated#169191

When LS4 is "leaning" more towards the research community, we will see people trying to switch from other tools.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #180198 by holch
Hahahaha, update on this year's version of this survey, which we have just finished the fieldwork for: about 300.000 columns when exporting the database. Luckily my external provider doesn't save everything in one table, otherwise this wouldn't be possible.

I have now about 207 departments among the 6 regions and every department can evaluate every department (except themselves).

In Limesurvey that would mean just for this one single question 206x206x7 columns (because there are 7 items to evaluate per department). The list of departments that shows for each participant is rather around 30-50, because it is filtered by a matrix (type custom attributes, depending on the department one works for and on the region they are from and by the first question, which is about about frequency of contact with the possible departments).

Some respondents are responsible for more than one department, so they'll look through this question more than once (1 person had 9 departments she was responsible for, so she should have gone through this 9 times. We had mercy and excluded her from the survey... ;-) ).

If you look at the word questionniare, you would consider that a simple questionnaire with a total of about 8 questions.

But if you get into the programming of it...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose