Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Anonymous Remuneration

• canderson2
  • canderson2's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #179328 by canderson2
Anonymous Remuneration was created by canderson2
I am wondering whether the following is possible with LimeSurvey:

I am a Master's Student conducting a study with 100 participants, using a survey I created on Limesurvey through my university.

I intend to remunerate the participants with $10 following completion of the survey, however, I need to do this anonymously.

Is it possible to set up an "end-screen" after the participant submits their survey, where I can have a page pop up with a unique code for each participant to claim their $10?

For example:
If I purchase 100 $10 gift card codes from an online retailer, like Amazon, can I have a page pop up with one of these codes for each person that completes the survey, so that I don't know who they are/to keep it anonymous?

Thank you!
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 2 months ago #179334 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Anonymous Remuneration
I think the best is to use an endurl auto redirect with a specific script.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • canderson2
More
4 years 11 months ago #183304 by canderson2
Replied by canderson2 on topic Anonymous Remuneration
Bringing this back because we are in the process of upgrading to Limesurvey 3.17 and I'm still having trouble with this.

I figured out how to redirect my survey to a different page, but what about redirecting randomly to one of 100 different pages?

Or maybe I can make the end screen randomly display 1 of 100 different codes for a gift card?

I'm clueless - I want to display something like this when they finish (or clear and exit) the survey:
  • holch
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183308 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Anonymous Remuneration
Automatic payments are never a good idea. It opens doors for fraud. Your US$ 1000 might be gone quicker than you think.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by holch.
More
4 years 11 months ago #183315 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Anonymous Remuneration

canderson2 wrote: Or maybe I can make the end screen randomly display 1 of 100 different codes for a gift card?

You want to randomly display 1 of 100 different codes? Isn't there another condition? The condition that the code is only displayed once? The amount of work, you will need invest to make the system fraudprone is high. Just do it manually a few times is a lot easier.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 11 months ago #183321 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Anonymous Remuneration

canderson2 wrote: but what about redirecting randomly to one of 100 different pages?

Because a real script can show 100 different page if needed (and check validity of the link using some session and url check). If you don't know how :

holch wrote: Your US$ 1000 might be gone quicker than you think.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • canderson2
More
4 years 11 months ago #183338 by canderson2

jelo wrote:

canderson2 wrote: Or maybe I can make the end screen randomly display 1 of 100 different codes for a gift card?

You want to randomly display 1 of 100 different codes? Isn't there another condition? The condition that the code is only displayed once? The amount of work, you will need invest to make the system fraudprone is high. Just do it manually a few times is a lot easier.

Essentially, I can't have any personal information from the participants and I can't actually have any contact with them, but I still have to remunerate them for participating and this is the only way I could think of. The ethics board told me I had to remunerate them even if they don't finish because of the sensitive nature of the questions. So if someone gets 5 questions in and decides "nope!" and they exit, they still need to get 10 dollars.

I will have 100 participants and 100 different $10 gift card numbers and somehow need to get them to the participants without knowing their names or email addresses etc.

I'm stumped.
  • canderson2
More
4 years 11 months ago #183339 by canderson2

DenisChenu wrote:

canderson2 wrote: but what about redirecting randomly to one of 100 different pages?

Because a real script can show 100 different page if needed (and check validity of the link using some session and url check). If you don't know how :

holch wrote: Your US$ 1000 might be gone quicker than you think.

Yeah, I am thinking this is definitely beyond my abilities as a nutrition student :).

I just can't think of an easier way without losing anonymity. :(
  • holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #183349 by holch

The ethics board told me I had to remunerate them even if they don't finish because of the sensitive nature of the questions. So if someone gets 5 questions in and decides "nope!" and they exit, they still need to get 10 dollars.

Yeah, the ethics boards. I sometimes wonder where those people live and from which planet they come from. Otherwise some decisions made by ethics boards are not really explainable. They are often completly baring any common sense and are purely made up on some weird principles.

But this doesn't help you.

Let's see if we can find a solution that satisfies the ethics board AND makes sense in the real world.

Could you let us know how you get to your respondents, how they receive the survey, etc?

Because if your respondents are limited to exactly those 100 respondents and you can use tokens, then we might be able to find a simple solution through the token table with custom attributes.

Tokens doesn't necessarily mean that respondents are identifyable, depending on how you distribute the tokens. But for this, we would need to know a little bit more on how your respondents get into your survey, where they come from, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: canderson2
  • canderson2
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183350 by canderson2

holch wrote:
Could you let us know how you get to your respondents, how they receive the survey, etc?

Because if your respondents are limited to exactly those 100 respondents and you can use tokens, then we might be able to find a simple solution through the token table with custom attributes.

Tokens doesn't necessarily mean that respondents are identifyable, depending on how you distribute the tokens. But for this, we would need to know a little bit more on how your respondents get into your survey, where they come from, etc.

Yes! I have a recruitment poster that I will hang up in various locations - it has tear-off tabs with the URL so they can take it and type it into a web browser later on at home or wherever.

My potential respondents will be from across Atlantic Canada. I'm going to be asking men who partake in a specific sport about their eating behaviours and body image. They will have to go through a screening questionnaire to make sure they are eligible.

I've got it set up so they get kicked out if they answer any of the screening questions in a way that doesn't align with my eligibility criteria --> in this case, I wouldn't pay them because they will not have reached the actual questionnaire yet.

So I'm looking for a way to recruit these people from across Atlantic Canada, pay them $10 to participate, and never know who they are. It's nuts lol.
**Edit - for clarification, I will actually be going to these various places to put up posters and will have permission from organizations to recruit at their location through this recruitment poster.

I was thinking about tokens last night. I wonder if I could put the token on the back of the tab they tear off the poster?
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by canderson2.
  • holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #183352 by holch
OK, so this is complete self selection and you would need to provide many, many tokens (and thus amazon codes) to make sure you reach your n=100 respondents. So this is definitely not an option. If you would only give out n=100 tokens, this could work, but then you would have to have a very defined sample.

What is stupid is that you can't even ask for their details, even if it would be totally disconnected from the actual research data.

To be honest, I feel like you will bury a lot of money to get to your n=100. If only 1 of the respondents has half a brain and just a little bit of "criminal energy" (and anyone who passes by your poster could access your survey), he/she will make $ 1000 worth in Amazon vouchers in a breeze and you have no control over it. It can even make your data unusable.

I hope at least you don't have to put the information about the vouchers on your poster...

• holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #183354 by holch
To be honest, I don't think I would run this survey under those conditions.

1. It is a potential money grave (you won't believe what people do for some kind of prize/voucher, etc.
2. You can't be sure of the data quality because people might fill out the survey more than once just to get another voucher.

Sorry, but I don't have any good solution for your problem, given the circumstances of your survey.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose