Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Are token-based URL's short enough for printing in a regular postal letter?

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #174358 by holch
No. There is one token table per survey. Within the token table tokens are individual (if LS creates them), but you could have the same token in different surveys. Not very likely, but it could happen that LS generates the same token for different surveys (its chance...). So if you have different surveys, you need to either have one domain per survey or have one of the solutions above.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by holch.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174359 by holch
Outside of Limesurvey you might actually be able to create something like that.

You could put a custom PHP script onto the index page of your domain. Then you would have to create your own token system that for example includes the an ID for the survey in the token. You can create your own tokens .

So lets say, the smarthome survey gets the ID 546, then you could start all tokens for this specific survey with 546 and then add the token to it. Your "Token" would look like 5468879072 then. With your php script you would check the token that was inserted, read out the first 3 digits, know that this is the smarthome survey, create the survey link including the token and your respondents go straight into the smarthome survey without having to insert the token again.

But of course, this will need some custom coding on your side. This is nothing that LS offers out of the box.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174360 by holch

Hmmm. . . now reading some of the other interesting options I just have one question: if I have a sub-domain for that particular survey, does that mean a completely new install each time of limesurvey, for that survey for each sub-domain?

No, not necessarily. You can configure your webserver to redirect/point to a specific URL on your server depending on your subdomain.

Yes, generally many hosters create a specific folder when you create a new subdomain. But if you are fit in webserver administration, you can create this dynamically. And many also offer to only point a subdomain to an already existing URL, not necessarily create a new "account". This is DNS and webserver stuff and has little to do with Limesurvey itself, but rather with webserver administration.

• bulgin
  • bulgin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #174362 by bulgin
I'm pretty good at web server administration but I still don't see how I could point a url to a subdomain and have the URL activate a survey on that sub-domain unless LS is installed on that sub-domain.

Unless. . . you are saying subdomain.mytlddomain.com points to a URL in mytlddomain.com - is that what you are suggesting?
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174392 by holch
Via different configurations on the webserver you can point a subdomain to any other URL you want.

you can point your subdomain survey1.yourdomain.tld to the actual survey URL yourdomain.tld/index.php/599791. Or redirect it.

Because the important part is that it is easy for your respondents to type in the URL, the rest doesn't matter much. They either don't even notice the redirect or the mostly don't care.

Important is that you make it as easy as possible for them to type the URL and then to type the token.

• bulgin
  • bulgin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #174394 by bulgin
Thank you. I did as you suggested by creating a sub domain and then pointing the link to that sub domain which further points to the actual survey.

That is ingenious and I thank you for that valuable tip!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose