Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Multiple choice with comments (numbers only)

• krosser
  • krosser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #169633 by krosser
Hey guys,

I need to make it possible to enter numbers only in comment boxes in a multiple choice question. I have tried to use number validation from the manual in the Question validation equation field, but it hasn't worked.

Number validation
Numbers from 1 to 99999
/^([1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|[1-9][0-9][0-9]|[1-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]|[1-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9])$/

/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/ does the same as above but should run a little faster

Any ideas on what code should be used?

I'm using the latest LS 3.22 hosted on LS servers, not installed locally.
The topic has been locked.
  • krosser
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #169648 by krosser
Replied by krosser on topic Multiple choice with comments (numbers only)
Okay, so I've figured out that it should be a much more sophisticated code in the validation equation and also in the tip. But I can't figure out the correct syntax for the validation tip.
For example, for just the first answer option:

(is_empty(Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK))

{if((is_empty(Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK)), ', 'test message...')}

And I get this

Any ideas guys what should be corrected in the validation tip to make it visible as only "test message"?

• krosser
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #169680 by krosser
Well, I've managed to fix it through trial and error.. So the code should be like this

{if(is_empty(Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK), '' , 'Only numbers are allowed')}

But it's only for the first comment box. I haven't figured out the syntax for applying it to other comment boxes yet.

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by krosser.
  • krosser
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #169685 by krosser
Alright, so I've figured it out... and in case someone would need it, here's how I did it.

A screenshot from this example in the manual has helped.

It's basically copying the code for each row and changing subquestions' codes.

So in my case, for the Question validation equation:
Code:
(is_empty(Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK)) and (is_empty(Expertise_SQ002comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ002comment.NAOK)) and (is_empty(Expertise_SQ003comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ003comment.NAOK)) and (is_empty(Expertise_othercomment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_othercomment.NAOK))

and for the Question validation tip:
Code:
{if(is_empty(Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ001comment.NAOK), '' , 'Only numbers are allowed')}
{if(is_empty(Expertise_SQ002comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ002comment.NAOK), '' , 'Only numbers are allowed')}
{if(is_empty(Expertise_SQ003comment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_SQ003comment.NAOK), '' , 'Only numbers are allowed')}
{if(is_empty(Expertise_othercomment.NAOK) or regexMatch('/^[1-9][0-9]{0,4}$/', Expertise_othercomment.NAOK), '' , 'Only numbers are allowed')}

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose