Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Two-ended scale

• cvestergaard
  • cvestergaard's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #168473 by cvestergaard
Two-ended scale was created by cvestergaard
Hi
I'm new to LimeSurvey and I'm trying to set up a personality type test.
For that I need some regular five-point scales (Strongly dislike to strongly like) but I also need some where the participant has to choose where on a scale he/she is.

Like this:

I...
makes lists 1 2 3 4 5 relies on memory

I've also added a picture to show it:

Can I do this?

Best,
Christina
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago #168481 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Two-ended scale
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Array/en

Look for "semantic differential".

But keep in mind that this is a tricky question type and not all "pairs" are actually usable with this type of question. I know it is used frequently, but academically there are only very few pairs actually "save", as far as I remember.

A tricky example would for example be your last pair. "Accepts things as they are" and "unsatisfied with the way things are". Those are not mutually exclusive. I can be unsatisfied with the way things are, but I can accept it, because I know that it will be difficult to change, for example.

Or I can be wanting to believe, but I can still be skeptical. I guess you know what I mean. Nothing directly related with your question, I just wanted to highlight that this question can generate a lot of useless data or frustrated respondents, if not done right.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cvestergaard
  • cvestergaard
  • cvestergaard's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #168494 by cvestergaard
Replied by cvestergaard on topic Two-ended scale
Thank you so much for your answer holch! That is exactly what I was looking for. I just didn't know the name for that type of question.

The questions are from a standard personality test so I'm not allowed to edit them but also thanks for your hint. I didn't know it was a tricky type of question but I'll read up on it so that I'll know more!
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #168497 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Two-ended scale

The questions are from a standard personality test

Well, then you can probably ignore my comment. They hopefully did validate the answer pairs then. And if not, there isn't much you can do anyway, if you have to use the same approach.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose