Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Connect multiple randomized question groups

• Hiwi_FR
  • Hiwi_FR's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #167877 by Hiwi_FR
Hello Community,

I've multiple question groups (stories) which should be displayed in a random order, but within this randomization I need to display one specific group related to the given previous random group (questions).

So, for example I have: Stories: S1, S2, S3,.. which should be randomized, but Questions Q1, Q2, Q3, etc following the corresponding task, like:
S3, Q3, S1, Q1, S2, Q2

Do I have the option to somehow achieve that dependence?

Thanks for your help!
Laura
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago #167879 by holch
Well, there are a few more questions to make.

You say that the stories are question groups. What kind of questions are in this group?

Can you place the questions in the same question group as the stories? Are the questions Q1, Q2 and Q3 the same or do they differ for each story or are the questions basically the same?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Hiwi_FR
  • Hiwi_FR's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago #167881 by Hiwi_FR
Replied by Hiwi_FR on topic Connect multiple randomized question groups
Thanks for the quick answer!

In each Stories-question group there is only one longer text and one MC-question regarding it.

Each Questions-group contains 8 questions of which half are the same in each group and half is specific about the story told before (same question type and amount of answer options, but different texts).

Each Questions-group starts with a (randomised) ending of the story which could influence the answer to the one question in the Stories-group, so I can not display all on one page. Also this question-groups include attention-check-questions for each story.

I know I could display all questions from one group after another, but this would lead to a quite big amount of short questions in a row, which probably will scare of/annoy my participants. Therefore I'm trying to avoid this.
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #167882 by holch
Your setup is quite tricky for what you are trying to do. If the questions in the groups Q1, Q2, Q3 would be exactly the same, you could just randomize S1, S2 and S3. But this is not an option now.

You basically need to tie the question group Q1 to S1, Q2 to S2 and Q3 to S3. At them moment, I don't see how you could do this out of the box.

What you could do is create the question group pairs various times and solve it that way. Not very elegant though.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by holch.
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #167883 by holch
Unfortunately you already need to misuse the logical question groups to create "pages".

I have made a feature request years ago to create a more display oriented "pages" concept besides the question group concept. If this would be implemented you could put all your questions from S1 and Q1 into one question group and then graphical separate them onto different pages. There are a few discussions going on lately, maybe you can add your vote to this concept. Maybe if we get more people to vote for it, the developers will see the need for this.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9416 and bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=8067

• Joffm
More
5 years 11 months ago #167884 by Joffm
Hi,
as holch said:

The best is to put the question of Sx and Qx into one group.
This is easy to randomize.

If it is really necessary to display Sx and Qx separately you have to use "question by question"

That's something we desire: A better grouping concept, nested groups or so.

Each Questions-group starts with a (randomised) ending of the story which could influence the answer to the one question in the Stories-group,

I don't understand this.
How can this randomized ending of the story influence the answer in the story group.
I think the Story group is always asked before the Question group.

Anyway, to understand better and be able to advise something else, send a sample of your survey.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose