Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

HEIC Support file upload

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #168239 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic HEIC Support file upload
HEIC is a privative technology. If you read the tread on hacker news, some people suspect it to be a honey pot for Nokia (they could suddenly start asking fees for it).

So I invite you to send the bug report to Apple, and ask them why people can't take jpg photos.
Let's see if they accept it as a bug report, or if it will be considerate as a feature request ;-)
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #168246 by LouisGac

holch wrote:
Isn't it just about being able to choose HEIC images and upload it into a survey?

if it's just that, then you have a specific option in the upload question:
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Fi...allowed_filetypes.29

if adding .heic here doens't solve the problem, it means that again Apple is limiting the non-apple applications ability to share data.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago #168249 by holch
Replied by holch on topic HEIC Support file upload
From what I understood it is "just that". Someone wants to be able to upload HEIC files to the survey.

Here a quote from nescobedo's original post:

In the advanced options of the question we add heic but it only changes a text rather than the actual settings.

So this means he addes .heic files as allowed files, but it still doesn't work.

if adding .heic here doens't solve the problem, it means that again Apple is limiting the non-apple applications ability to share data.

Not a developer, but I am wondering how Apple will limit non-apple applications to upload heic files? This would mean, you could not upload .heic files to any website or anything (because at the end Limesurvey is nothing else than a complicated website, isn't it? I also have no Apple device, so I can't really test that. I am just wondering how this could be something on Apple's side.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #168251 by LouisGac
I'm not surprised that it doesn't work.
Apple want to force their customers to use their cloud and their applications (or the "certified app" from their store that are paying them some fees).
So they drastically limit web applications: you can't even upload a file from your iPhone to a website....

It's nothing new, it's a problem since years for all WebApps developers with Apple. From an iOS update to another, it can change :
stackoverflow.com/questions/6336641/came...cess-through-browser
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #168253 by holch
Replied by holch on topic HEIC Support file upload
As I said, not an Apple user and also not a big fan of them, but

So I invite you to send the bug report to Apple, and ask them why people can't take jpg photos.

I doubt that you can't take JPEGs anymore with new Apple devices, but the standard has probably changed. And from practices I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to make users to change those settings on their mobile device. Otherwise I would just recommend to change to JPEG. ;-)
But it won't work. They won't do it or won't be able to do it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 11 months ago #168278 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic HEIC Support file upload

LouisGac wrote: So they drastically limit web applications: you can't even upload a file from your iPhone to a website....

We got iOS, a browser, a file with a suffix .heic (with iPad or iPhone with A9 cpu or higher you get a .heic insteafd of a jpeg.) and a LimeSurvey upload question.

So when we try to upload pictures from the camera roll, LS won't allow it because it's .heic and not .jpg or .png.

If .heic is added to the suffixes the upload should take place.
The thumbnail display by LimeSurvey should be optional.

If using an example file ( nokiatech.github.io/heif/content/images/autumn_1440x960.heic ) the upload is working fine.

iOS via Safari isn't preventing upload to LimeSurvey when using the iOS cameraapp. The upload is working fine with Jpeg. Sorry, no A9 powered device at hands to get a .heic-file directly produced by the cameraapp. Why should a different filetype be stopped? It's no upload type via special HTML tag to support certain mobile devices.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #168305 by LouisGac
thank you for those tests Jelo.
I'm not surprised of the result. Like I was saying: Apple want to force their users to use their cloud, their tools, their software, and the apps paying fees to be in their appstore.
So they're going against the trend of HTML5 webapps.

So, as I said; if someone want to open a bug report he must do it on Apple Bug Tracker:
developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by LouisGac.
More
5 years 11 months ago #168306 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic HEIC Support file upload

LouisGac wrote: thank you for those tests Jelo.
I'm not surprised of the result.

What do you thing the result was? I had no issues.

The last check missing: What is the filenamesuffix when taking a photo under iOS with a device powered by a A9 cpu or higher. Should be easily checked by someone buying newer stuff than me ;-)

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #168308 by LouisGac
I'm not surprised that uploading an HIEC file works from a web browser but not from the Camera of all iPhone devices.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by LouisGac.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
4 years 1 week ago #196983 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic HEIC Support file upload

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com

Lime-years ahead