Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

HEIC Support file upload

• nescobedo
  • nescobedo's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #162476 by nescobedo
HEIC Support file upload was created by nescobedo
Hi,

We're using the file upload question to get certain pictures from mystery shoppers.
Most of them are using iPhones, which currently is using the HEIC format for pictures.
So when we try to upload pictures from the camera roll, LS won't allow it because it's .heic and not .jpg or .png.

Someone knows a way to fix this?
In the advanced options of the question we add heic but it only changes a text rather than the actual settings.

Please help!
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 3 months ago #162495 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic HEIC Support file upload
Sounds like a bug. What version/build of LimeSurvey is used? Perhaps the bug is already fixed. If not, you can open a bugticket here.

www.limesurvey.org/community/bug-tracker

Doublecheck the filetype options. I sometimes overlook a mistype too.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • nescobedo
  • nescobedo's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #162500 by nescobedo
Replied by nescobedo on topic HEIC Support file upload
Thanks for the reply Jelo. We're using version 2.73.0+171219 and the formats are correct.
Maybe is something we need to check in the php configuration?
More
6 years 3 months ago #162527 by jelo
What does "LS won't allow it because it's .heic" exactly mean when you're are respondent in the survey?

Where exactly does it stuck? Did you try the same e.g on a PC with a browser and a heic-file?

Currently it could be a bug in LS which misses the heic suffix during the file selection.
If the file can be selected, it might be a issue when uploading (what size are the heic-files?).
It depends on where exactly the whole process stops. PHP and Apache configuration issues are mostly related to filesize (if e.g. upload of jpeg-files are working).

You might directly open a bugticket and post survey, heic-file and screenshots there.
But to me it looks they will no longer release bugfixes for 2.7X. They moved to LS 3. (which I cannot recommend for productive work at the moment).

Can you provide a heic-file and a survey with just the uploadquestion, which didn't work in your environment and attach it to this thread?

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 2 months ago #162713 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic HEIC Support file upload
I don't see expecting respondents to change their device settings or convert images as a solution.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
6 years 2 months ago #162722 by holch
Replied by holch on topic HEIC Support file upload
I agree with tpartner. I personally would also prefer to receive the files all as JPEG, but I highly doubt that the Iphone users will switch to JPEG or do the conversion before the upload.

Mystery shoppers are usually not interviewers from your team, but rather real consumers recruited to do certain tasks / evaluations. So you don't really have much control over them, they are almost like normal research respondents, filling in a questionnaire.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• markusfluer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #162728 by markusfluer
Replied by markusfluer on topic HEIC Support file upload
HEIC support is an active asset for us in LS3.
As jelo said we dropped support for all other versions starting this month.
The file upload is currently being remastered and I will hopefully have time to add also the reasons why Apple was moving towards HEIC. (animated images).
But since HEIC is just a container format and the containing files can never be sure to follow all rules this may be integrated later this quarter.

PS: Thank you for your trust in LS 3 ;)
More
6 years 2 months ago #162734 by jelo
I'm a bit confused about Markus post. The upload-question in a survey isn't needing a special HEIC-support, right? The issue of the threadstarter seem to be, that HEIC files cannot be selected and uploaded during a survey (even though the suffix is added in the options and shown as supported suffix in the upload question infotext). Looks to me more like a bugreport than a feature request.

More
5 years 11 months ago #168204 by petteed
Replied by petteed on topic HEIC Support file upload
There are also useful free online tools to help apart from paid heic converter software
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #168213 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic HEIC Support file upload

jelo wrote: I'm a bit confused about Markus post. The upload-question in a survey isn't needing a special HEIC-support, right? The issue of the threadstarter seem to be, that HEIC files cannot be selected and uploaded during a survey (even though the suffix is added in the options and shown as supported suffix in the upload question infotext). Looks to me more like a bugreport than a feature request.

supporting privative technologies is a feature request.
it's an iPhone bug, not a LS bug.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #168215 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic HEIC Support file upload
btw, I'm not even sure this is compatible with GPL licence:

github.com/nokiatech/heif/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14489987
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #168236 by holch
Replied by holch on topic HEIC Support file upload
Maybe I am getting this problem wrong, but it is not about "supporting" an technology. It is just about being able to upload it during a survey. So I don't see why the GPL would come into play here?

Isn't it just about being able to choose HEIC images and upload it into a survey?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose