Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Duplicate Language Hack

More
6 years 3 months ago #162431 by risom
Duplicate Language Hack was created by risom
Hi all,

I'm still new to lime survey and have been learning a lot since adopting this system. A feature I find particularly useful is the ability to create a survey with multiple translations, which makes it easy to re-direct users through separate links.

Regarding having multiple languages, would it be possible to have duplicate languages with different language codes? For instance I could have a German translation of a survey and then have a German-2 translation page that just has different end links?

Now:
My Idea:

While I know there are workaround by declaring panel id's and redirecting respondents off passed parameters, but this option seems like a faster hack as when you add a new translation it already provides you with a field to redirect users with separate links.

So far I understand there are language files that you can upload with translations, but I'm not sure if this is as simple as copying and renaming my German translations files from "de.po" to "de-2.po".

I feel like this process would be simpler to explain to my colleagues then trying to get them to write JavaScript to handle URL's based off respondents incoming ID's. And would be easier to direct respondents from panels or email lists.

Any thoughts?...
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 3 months ago #162434 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Duplicate Language Hack
Personally, I think it would be easier to do it with Expression Manager, token attributes or JavaScript but you can create your own language file as described here - manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSu...ng_a_new_translation

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac
More
6 years 3 months ago #162438 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Duplicate Language Hack
Looks like a feature request. Defining copies of languages.
I had once a study where I needed a English survey for two different countries (Currencies, etc). Ended up copying the whole survey for the second English. Was a hell of work for a few simple differences in the survey text.

For just a different endlink I wouldn't create a PO language file copy.

If you can live with informal and formal German you can use the Du and Sie as two German files.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
6 years 3 months ago #162442 by cookiemonster
Replied by cookiemonster on topic Duplicate Language Hack
I needed a similar setup as well, I found 2 easy to use variants without too much effort.

Variant 1 with Token
If it's a token controlled survey I use token fields for different things like currency or some words and just input them as variables in the questions.

Variant 2 without Token
I additionally provide a start variable like &country=xy and then I use some IF statements in the text.
If country=at then EUR if country=ch then CHF

No much "hacks" needed and the text needs to be done in any way :)
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #162444 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Duplicate Language Hack
as said by TPartner, you can already do that by creating your own translation:
manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSu...ng_a_new_translation

but for sure, all the translation system needs to be more modular.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose