Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Modeling survey system with multiple users, filling in multiple surveys

• maxHal
  • maxHal's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #161125 by maxHal
Hi, I am new here :)

I am looking at LimeSurvey for a client, who is looking to replace excel forms with a self hosted platform. LimeSurvey looks like a good choice. I am currently using v 2.64.1-0068 on a synology diskstation.

I am looking to find out if I can configure the platform to fit their context.

Currently their customers submit requests to a helpdesk, and their admins assign a review tech to each request. The tech then processes the request (meeting the SLA) and return a completed excel document (which I will replace with the appropriate surveys (depending on the type of request)) to the customer.

I have added techs to the CPDB and can assign the tech to the survey and generate tokens for them. But I am wondering how I can assign the same tech to the same (and multiple) surveys (multiple tokens?) so that I can track the survey response to the helpdesk ticket/job number.

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Max
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by maxHal.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 4 months ago #161164 by holch
I am quite sure that there are better fits than Excel or Survey systems for such a ticket system approach. It might be possible to do this with Limesurvey, but you probably will have to do a lot of hacks and work arounds and you will only use a very limited feature set of LS anyway.

I am quite sure that there are open source ticketing systems out there that will be a far better match to what you want to do. AND: sometimes it makes sense to adapt the process to the system, rather than trying to fit a system to an old and outdated process (using Excel sheets!!!).

You might have looked into those already, but here a few links:
blog.capterra.com/the-7-best-free-help-desk-software-tools/
osticket.com/
www.otrs.com

As much as I like Limesurvey and as much as I want the user base to grow, I am also convinced that there are better fits for your case out there.

You can't access previous responses out of the box. In surveys usually each answer is treated seperately. There are some work arounds that can be found on the forum, if I recall right, but it will always be some kind of patchwork and not ideal. You might be able to "hack" this with a plugin, but I have no experience with this what so ever. Maybe someone else can skip in there. But if you haven't done so, I would rather look into real ticketing systems than hacking a survey system for this.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: maxHal
  • holch
More
6 years 4 months ago #161165 by holch
But if you really just need the surveys to be completed you could do the following:
Give each token a certain number of "uses left". Generally this is "1", so each token can only be used once. If you increase this, the token can be used various times.

This would solve your problem at least for several answers per token (I assume each helpdesk case would get its token). Now I am not sure how to assign more than one token (case) to the same person. I am not really using the CPDB, so I am not sure if it is possible to assign more than one token of the same survey to the same participant. Problem is, that this would be a very strange case for a normal survey and thus probably isn't implemented. If you want people to respond more than once for the same survey, you usually give them just a token with more options to respond (uses left). Another scenario that should work is assing one respondent to more than one survey. But this won't help you either, I don't think you want to create a new survey for each helpdesk case.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
6 years 4 months ago #161169 by jelo
You could add the ticket number to the URL and let LimeSurvey save the ticket-number with the responses.

manual.limesurvey.org/URL_fields/en#Pref...g_URL_parameters_tab

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • maxHal
  • maxHal's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #161308 by maxHal
Thanks Holch, Thanks Jelo! I really appreciated your responses and time.

I think I have found a workflow to make it work. I will create dummy users and have the admin's use a token for each appropriate ticket. They will feed the link to the helpdesk system for the reviewers to access the survey. The admin will fill in the reviewer's name to the dummy accounts. I think this will work ok. I will sit the limesurvey install within a user authentication, so that the survey is restricted from the outside world.

I have began digging into limesurbey a bit more now. Am very impressed with the feature set :)

Now I must attend to some expressions, will begin a new thread.

Many thanks again.

Max

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose