Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

automatically clear old tmp/assets folders?

• ArthurOne
  • ArthurOne's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #159439 by ArthurOne
Hi!
Is there anyway to automatically clear/delete old folders from the tmp/assets directory ? I was wondering if there was any option in LimeSurvey 2.55 which will allow me to schedule the removal of old folders from the tmp/assets.

Thanks.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 6 months ago #159448 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic automatically clear old tmp/assets folders?
I have asked for a button to do that but the request was flatly denied - www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...r-tmp-folders#157696

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • ArthurOne
  • ArthurOne's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #159500 by ArthurOne
Replied by ArthurOne on topic automatically clear old tmp/assets folders?
Thanks for answering!
That button would be really useful in my opinion although I get his point.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #159546 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic automatically clear old tmp/assets folders?

ArthurOne wrote: Hi!
Is there anyway to automatically clear/delete old folders from the tmp/assets directory ? I was wondering if there was any option in LimeSurvey 2.55 which will allow me to schedule the removal of old folders from the tmp/assets.

Thanks.

A PHP application is launched only when you call it (url or command line). It's not a deamon that runs all the time and that can perform an operation at a given date.

So any scheduled application related to a server maintenance (like deleting files in logs or temporary folders) should be done with the server cron jobs. Example for Ubuntu:
help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

Another way to do could be to configure LimeSurvey so it uses the server tmp directory which is cleaned at every reboot. This setting can be overridden inside config.php:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...ig-defaults.php#L638
(the LS subfolder in the tmp directory should be then reachable from Internet)

TPartner is speaking about a button to "refresh" the assets (to change the random string of the asset folder name, so it forces browsers to refresh its cache), it's pretty different.
  • DenisChenu
More
6 years 6 months ago #159555 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic automatically clear old tmp/assets folders?

LouisGac wrote: …

Another way to do could be to configure LimeSurvey so it uses the server tmp directory which is cleaned at every reboot. This setting can be overridden inside config.php:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...ig-defaults.php#L638
(the LS subfolder in the tmp directory should be then reachable from Internet)

/tmp/ is rarely accessible via web access (and fortunately in general …).

I think /tmp can be used for runtimePath but not for assets :).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
6 years 6 months ago #159565 by jelo

LouisGac wrote: Another way to do could be to configure LimeSurvey so it uses the server tmp directory which is cleaned at every reboot. [..] (the LS subfolder in the tmp directory should be then reachable from Internet)

tmp isn't always cleaned at every reboot. That depends on many settings. If tmp is pointing to a ram disk, a reboot cleans tmp. But if tmp is on a harddisk, tmp isn't always cleared via a reboot. Depending on the OS there are many different behaviors.

And placing LS assets in a subdirectory in the serverwide tmp directory seems to be a way to get more issues. Hopefully it is not the case on the SaaS offers by LS GmbH ;-)

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose