Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Make admin module inaccessible on internet

• YPA6526
  • YPA6526's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #147127 by YPA6526
Hi,

We want to implement an application for carrying out survey. For this we evaluated some survey tools. Limesurvey is one the tool that we are evaluating.

We want that admin functionalities i.e. the admin URL should not be accessible on internet. Only the URLs for Surveys that have been created should be accessible on internet.

In other words, the admin URLs should be accessible only to few members in intranet but not to public users, where as the survey URLs should be accessible on intranet and internet.

Can you please let us know how this could be done?

Best Regards,
Yuvraj
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #147139 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Make admin module inaccessible on internet
There is probably other way to do it, but if the goal is to be 100% sure that no admin functionalities are reachable via Internet, here what I'd do:

Two installations of limeSurvey can use the same database. So I'd use a normal version of LimeSurvey for the Intranet (it will have a normal admin). Then, for Internet, I'd have a second installation where the folder /application/admin would have been removed. So this installation would have not any admin interface at all.
  • YPA6526
  • YPA6526's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #147144 by YPA6526
Replied by YPA6526 on topic Make admin module inaccessible on internet
I have seen that the URL that is sent in the email notification for filling/submitting the survey will domain name that the admin user used to access and sent invitation.

So if I logged in to the survey tool admin module using localhost and then invite someone then the invitation mail will have URL like http://localhost/limesurvey/index.php/survey...

If I logged in to survey tool admin module using domain name (example.com) and then invite someone then the invitaiton amil will have URL like example.com/limesurvey/index.php/survey ...

If we have 2 installation pointing to same database and one of the installation's admin module is deleted and we use the installation that is having admin module, now from that installation we have to invite users for survey, ultimately the initiation mails will have the domain name of the installation which is having admin module.

I think the solution to have 2 installations can help me if we have a feature to specify what should be domain name of survey in invitation mail. But my understanding is this feature is not available as of now. Can you please let me know if I can change the domain name in invitation mails without changing any of the php code.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 months ago #147145 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Make admin module inaccessible on internet

YPA6526 wrote: I think the solution to have 2 installations can help me if we have a feature to specify what should be domain name of survey in invitation mail. But my understanding is this feature is not available as of now. Can you please let me know if I can change the domain name in invitation mails without changing any of the php code.

Well that can be done via a plugin, but it implies some PHP coding (you can also hire a LimeSurvey partner)
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 2 months ago #147192 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Make admin module inaccessible on internet
About surveyurl : use publicurl in config.php work out of the box : manual.limesurvey.org/Optional_settings#Advanced_Path_Settings

And to disable admin access : i already done it with one installation and htaccess on apache with mod_rewrite, alterantive : a quick plugin using (maybe) beforeLogin event github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...hentication.php#L108

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose