Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Semi-random group order

More
7 years 9 months ago #137273 by ACBS
Semi-random group order was created by ACBS
Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble with limesurvey's randomisation feature:
Basically I have 10 different picture/question tasks - each participant is supposed to complete 4 randomly selected ones in a random order. Each one task includes two question groups. Those two question groups have to displayed in a certain order (so not randomized). I am looking to set up a structure like this
A1A2
B1B2
C1C2
J1J2
where the software would select 4 of these sets and then display them in a random order while still always showing A2 right after A1 and so on. This should result in for example D1D2-->A1A2-->F1F2-->G1G2.
I have implemented the random selection through an automated multiple choice question, but I am still struggling with the order.. I have tried only randomizing the pictures (A1,B1,..) in the hope that the questions (A2,B2,..) would simply be displayed after the question group that precedes them in the "normal" survey order, but that didn't work.

Thank you!
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 9 months ago #137281 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Semi-random group order
Tasks, sets, questions groups. What is e.g "A1"? A question, a task or a set?
The setting is not clear. If I get it right , it won't be able to solve without copying questions.

Limesurvey is lacking Subsets/Subgroups. If you could define questions as a subgroup/subset you could easily apply randomization like on single questions. E.g to choose 4 out 10 questions randomly inside one group is possible today. But you need not one questions but a sequence of questions. And that is not possible.

To me it currently looks like you would need to create each possible order as a copy of questions. Sine Limesurvey supports no Looping or Jumping back and forth. Nor it supports subgroups/subset.

Not sure if the Javascript wizards of the forum can offer a workaround out of the box.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: ACBS
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 9 months ago #137305 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Semi-random group order
Yes, this is quite confusing. Do you have a clearer example or even an LSS file?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
More
7 years 9 months ago #137319 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Semi-random group order
Here's a JavaScript solution that may be adapted to your needs (2 random numbers out of a set of 4) - www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...bers-out-of-5#127698 .

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
7 years 9 months ago #137324 by ACBS
Replied by ACBS on topic Semi-random group order
Thank you for the quick replies!
@holch&jelo:
A1, B1,.. are groups with 1 question each, that is shown for 15 seconds. The question is actually just a picture, so nothing is entered by the participants.
A2, B2,... are groups with 3 questions on that picture with a time limit of 4 minutes.
The picture is displayed alongside the questions again, so A2, B2,.. are all different and obviously need to follow the correct picture. But I think you managed to guess correctly, what I meant anway, jelo: subgroups were exactly what I had in mind as a solution. Shame that doesn't work. Creating every possible sequence sounds daunting - for 4 out of 10 in random order there are 5040 possible sequences.
@ tpartner: Unfortunately I'm not exactly an expert on JavaScript, so I might be missing something, but as far as I can tell this solution only helps with the random selection? It might also shuffle the groups that are randomly chosen, but I need something that shuffles groups in sets of 2 so to speak (as if one group was a subgroup of the other).
  • tpartner
More
7 years 9 months ago #137350 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Semi-random group order
My solution does not randomize the order of any groups, it merely allows the display of a random sub-set of groups.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose