Internet Explorer support for Limesurvey 3.X

Mehr
2 Monate 1 Woche her - 2 Monate 1 Woche her #180378 von Carmen60
COM_KUNENA_MESSAGE_CREATED_NEW
Hi,
We have used Limesurvey as a survey platform for a widespread community in Europe. Some of our users still use Internet Explorer as their preferred browser. If we want to interoperate and be inclusive towards survey designers who use IE, have we any chance that browser compliance will change in the future?
Anyway, is there any information about what doesn't work if you use IE for designing a survey through Limesurvey 3.x interface?
Last edit: 2 Monate 1 Woche her by Carmen60.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um an der Konversation teilzunehmen.

LimeSurvey Partners
Mehr
2 Monate 1 Woche her - 2 Monate 1 Woche her #180380 von DenisChenu
COM_KUNENA_MESSAGE_REPLIED_NEW

Microsoft security chief warns people ‘not to use its own Internet Explorer’ as the program is ‘outdated’

Source : www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8387677/internet-e...wser-security-alert/

My opinion :
1. yes for public part (always , even ELinks or Lynx or Emacs/W3 must be supported)
2. never for admin part (I prefer to work on supporting ELinks or any text web browser …)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
Last edit: 2 Monate 1 Woche her by DenisChenu. Begründung: Add some text browser links

Mehr
2 Monate 1 Woche her #180382 von jelo

Carmen60 schrieb: If we want to interoperate and be inclusive towards survey designers who use IE, have we any chance that browser compliance will change in the future?

Very low. If someone provides fixes, it might will be considered. But I don't see anybody investing. Even Microsoft will start killing IE once Edge is running on Chrome engine. I wouldn't invest as a Limesurvey developer in IE. Users, which are on IE, might consider sponsoring testing and fixing.

Carmen60 schrieb: Anyway, is there any information about what doesn't work if you use IE for designing a survey through Limesurvey 3.x interface?

I'm not aware of a page which documents the unsupported parts. It's more that nobody is testing LS against IE anymore. I haven't seen many complains about LS 3 and IE from the survey designer side. But most won't use IE if they are not forced to.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Mehr
3 Wochen 4 Tage her #182269 von holch
I totally go with Jelo and Denis here: On the survey taker side I think we need to support IE and I guess we do.

But on the survey designer side, I would not spend time (and thus money) on a browser that is so little used. In your case it might still have a high incidence, but word wide (see gs.statcounter) the incidence is below 3% and the tendency is going down. So I would also not invest the little resources that the LS project has on supporting a dying browser. I would not spend 1 minute of testing resources on the IE. I think sooner or later your community will have to adapt anyway, so why not sooner?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

Jetzt loslegen!

Melden Sie sich jetzt an, und erstellen Sie in wenigen Minuten Ihre erste Umfrage.

Account einrichten

Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter

Abonnieren Sie unseren Newsletter für alle Neuigkeiten rund um LimeSurvey
captcha