Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle

• jelo
  • jelo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #173848 by jelo
LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle was created by jelo
Found this link in a newsletter, which I received today.

www.limesurvey.org/about-limesurvey/surv...ey-version-lifecycle

LimeSurvey 2.06 - support end March 2018
LimeSurvey 2.57 - security updates until approximately 2019
LimeSurvey 3.0 - LTS Version - support until end of 2019
LimeSurvey 4.0 - Non-LTS Version - launch approximately end of 2018 - beginning of 2019

The official version schema enforced by LimeSurvey has a LTS version, which is still available.

Limesurvey 2.6.7 (limesurvey2.6.7-lts+171212)

So the mailing listed 2.06, but meant Limesurvey 2.6.7?

Version 3.0 is LTS and the current version.
Version 3.0 was releases at the end of 2017. So LTS seems to cover 2 years.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The topic has been locked.
  • markusfluer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #173854 by markusfluer
Replied by markusfluer on topic LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle
2.06 and 2.6.7 are the same versions.
The confusion is understandable. When we changed to semantic versioning, we also included the very oldest version in the naming process, because it was still supported at that point.

According to this 2.6.7 isn't officially supported anymore, we will remove the LTS link in the premium packages soon.
Also there was a mistake in communication and 2.57 also isn't actively supported anymore. We have changed the article accordingly.
Version 3 the only actively supported version.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #173863 by holch
Replied by holch on topic LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle
  • Also there was a mistake in communication and 2.57 also isn't actively supported anymore.

Proof read anyone? ;-)

My latest info before this newsletter was also that the only version currently supported is 3.x. and I am not part of Limesurvey GmbH.

And 4.x for end of 2018 / beginning of 2019 is true? I think I read from one of the developers that 4.x was to be expected for end of 2019. Just asking. I might recall wrong.

But end of 2018 is very close, only about 3 months left. So if this is still the goal 4.x must be pretty advanced already.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
    No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by holch.
    • jelo
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173864 by jelo
    Replied by jelo on topic LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle

holch wrote: My latest info before this newsletter was also that the only version currently supported is 3.x. and I am not part of Limesurvey GmbH.

For me the situation is a bit different. Today was the first public info I recognized, that the 2.6.7 LTS support was stopped in March 2018.

The forum should be split into LS 3 , LS4 and Unsupported ;-) For me it makes no sense to discuss anything below LS 3 from now on.

• holch
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173869 by holch
    Well, unfortunately there are some poor souls out there that still run things like 2.05 or even 1.9x!

We could always say: Not supported anymore, we won't give you any answers to your question. But then I don't think this is the solution. I am always highlighting the importance to update, but there are so many things that might actual users prevent from updating/upgrading. Many have no control over this and they have to use this installation. So while it is not ideal, I wouldn't want those poor souls leave hanging.

Now splitting the forum into different versions of LS would make sense. To be honest, we could easily cut down on the number of subforums, because the questions never really fit anyway. Or at least a field that requires to choose the version / branch that we are talking about.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• jelo
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173896 by jelo

holch wrote: Many have no control over this and they have to use this installation. So while it is not ideal, I wouldn't want those poor souls leave hanging.

Support will expose more people to old and buggy installations. First impact of LimeSurvey will be bad. These students will never recommend LimeSurvey (except for the forum community helping them save their project).

holch wrote: Now splitting the forum into different versions of LS would make sense. To be honest, we could easily cut down on the number of subforums, because the questions never really fit anyway. Or at least a field that requires to choose the version / branch that we are talking about.

A LS version as Prefix would be a nice feature. The current forum software (as module of Joomla) seems not as powerful as standalone forum software.

I'm not so sure about less or more sections. The wording and an explanation of the sections might be more helpful than merging sections. Currently a forum section like news is not really used. LimeSurvey is providing different news via

Newsletter
    Blog
    News-section of website
    News-section of forum

E.g. www.limesurvey.org/about-us/news/2075-li...ity-advisory-02-2018 cannot be found in the forum news section.

Just an idea (subsections might be only useful when the amount of posts is higher).
    Code:
    #Support
    Is Limesurvey right? (Before you start)
    Installing Limesurvey
    Upgrading LimeSuvrey
    Using LimeSurvey (After installation)

#Development
    Coding questions
    Module development
      Subforums for Modules & Maintainers
    Theme/Template development
    Translations

#General
    News and announcements
      Newsletter
      Security announcements and advisories
    Discussion about LimeSurvey (No support questions)
    Show your survey with LimeSurvey

#Services
    Hosting support
    Jobs, bounties  (Paid services)

The mods will better know how often they have to move posts.

Depending on the potential of the forum software a different approach can make sense.
    E.g. help.nextcloud.com/categories

• tammo
    • Official LimeSurvey Partner
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173906 by tammo
    Replied by tammo on topic LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle
    Fully agree. And develop a placeholder for pages where people ask for support where the are encouraged to specify (where applicable):

LS version
    Template used (standard or customized)
    Plugins installed
    reference to issue in Mantis
    Upload LSS
    .... (please add good ideas that make the life of people that give support some easier)

Tammo

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
    For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
    respondage.nl
    • jelo
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173908 by jelo

tammo wrote: Fully agree. And develop a placeholder for pages where people ask for support where the are encouraged to specify (where applicable)

I would recommend to open the bugticket first. Since all the infos you're asking in the forum are once again entered in mantis.

The case that it is no bug, will be happen more often. But these "false" bugreport are often an indication for UX issues and still contain hints for developers to improve or change things.

So bugticket first seems to be a way to collect all information at one place and get UX issues as well.
    And people are getting more used to mantis.

The recommendation for LimeSurvey hosting customers was to open a support ticket. But they can get confused, cause they are asked to visit the forum first.

• tammo
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173911 by tammo
    Replied by tammo on topic LimeSurvey Version Lifecycle
    What you state here is actually that the current way of helping users is unclear.

Assumptions made:
    1. users will know if something they want to achieve, but cannot achieve, is either caused by a software error or by not knowing what to do.
    2. people can explain in the forum what they want to achieve.
    3. People will read how to to write a request for help on the forum
    4. People read
    5. people will want to add something to Mantis, even if they do know know if it refers to a bug.
    6. people will understand Mantis

I think all these assumptions are not true, since a great majority of the LS users are people that use LS only for one or two surveys (but maybe this assumption is also not true...).

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
    For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
    respondage.nl
    • jelo
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #173920 by jelo

tammo wrote: I think all these assumptions are not true, since a great majority of the LS users are people that use LS only for one or two surveys (but maybe this assumption is also not true...).

The great majority of LS user will never hit the limesurvey.org website.
    The ones which post on the forum are the ones to bring to Mantis.

The other distiction is between users and customers (using vs. paying).
    The support ticket is mostly for paying users.

• holch
    More
    5 years 6 months ago #174014 by holch
    I am sure that the prefered options for support for the Limesurvey GmbH is as follows:

1. Try to solve it in the forum
    2. Open a bug report
    3. Open a ticket.

And I can even understand it. Because the forum alone probably reduces the support tickets A LOT!

The problem is, that Limesurvey has a split approach, commercial with SAAS through Limesurvey GmbH and the open source part with support from the community. As a lot overlaps, there will always be confusion.

And I don't have a problem to give support in the forum where I can. I think it's tricky. For tools like Surveymonkey or -Gizmo it is clear: everything will go to one support. I am not sure how to split things up in a good way in Limesurvey.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose