Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Setting different time limit for different participant

• yohay
  • yohay's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #196158 by yohay
Hi,
Is it possible to set (maybe by JS) different time limit for different participants?
Lets say I want to set time limit for a question but want part of the participants to have X seconds and other group y seconds. Can I set a different attribute for each group and make some conditioning to achieve that?

(The only way I can think of is to create 2 sets of the same questions and show them according to that attribute BUT this will be very cumbersome to built AND very cumbersome later to consolidate the data)

Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago #196164 by tpartner
Did you try using ExpressionScript in the timer settings?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • yohay
More
3 years 11 months ago #196218 by yohay
Im not familiar with this... I'm not a developer, is this something that have any manual or KB?

Many thanks for your help
  • holch
  • Away
More
3 years 11 months ago #196224 by holch

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Joffm
More
3 years 11 months ago #196226 by Joffm
Hi,
LimeSurvey is thought to be a tool that you may create your survey without being a developer. There is the GUI where you add your questions and your routing just by clicking and entering the texts
But of course you will have to read the manual, especially about Expression Manager/Script
manual.limesurvey.org/ExpressionScript_-_Presentation
As you didn't mention the version of LS that you are using, for your information:
Up to version 3.x this was called "Expression Manager", from 4.x. on it it "Expression script"

But as far as I tried it is not possible to enter a value by Expression Manager into the timer duration field. A numeric value is expected.
This is a bit unsatisfying.
But you already know how to do it (copy the questions, different timer duration, different relevance equation).
And it is not "cumbersome" at all.
Copying a question, changing the timer duration, changing the relevance equation doesn't take more than one minute per question.
And to restructure the data? This you do either by a macro in EXCEL or by a few RECODE statements in SPSS. So, no work at all.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
3 years 11 months ago #196227 by tpartner
Sorry, I take that back - the timer setting is an <input type="number" /> element so will not accept ExpressionScript.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yohay
  • yohay
More
3 years 11 months ago #196369 by yohay
I'm familiar with expression manager, didnt know it is now called ExpressionScript ( I have version 2.[something] ).

When you have several projects each week with more than 40 questions each it is quite cumbersome :) BUT there is really nothing to complain, LimeSurvey is awesome

Thank you very much for the elaborate answer.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose