Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can I disclose the link to my Survey and people just start answering it?

• phyrexio
  • phyrexio's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #187583 by phyrexio
Basically, the title.

I want to make my survey available to the public by disclosing the link in a Youtube video, and I want the users to be able to just click the link and start answering the survey, without needing to put their email or a token, much like Google Forms does.

Is it possible? I've tried creating a Test Survey with "Anonymous Answers" turned OFF and "Token-based response persistence" turned ON, but when I opened the link to the survey (like if I were an anonymous user that just clicked the link), it asked for a token.

Can I do that?

Thank you very much.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by phyrexio.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 8 months ago #187584 by Joffm
Hi,

Token-based response persistence turned ON

So it's obvious that you need tokens.

In your case:
Activate the survey and leave it in open access mode

meaning: answer here "No, thanks"

Then just clicking the link let you answer.
In case the respondent wants to pause and continue later, the click on "Resume later"

leads to a page where the respondent enters his credentials, username and password, which he - and only he - selects.

If an email address is enterd he will get a mail with his entries, otherwise he has to remember.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
More
4 years 8 months ago #187591 by jelo

Joffm wrote: So it's obvious that you need tokens.

We cannot be sure. Perhaps the threadstarter just wants to get rid of the token table. It's not that obvious.

So why was "Token-based response persistence" turned ON at all?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Joffm
More
4 years 8 months ago #187592 by Joffm
Well,
on one side he says "without needing to put their email or a token", on the other side "Token-based response persistence".

So why was "Token-based response persistence" turned ON at all?

In my opinion it might be a misunderstanding on his side. That he thinks of response persistence without seeing the inconsistency of "without token" and "token based".

Therefore I explained the "Resume later" function.

Generally he just wants to have an open survey.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • phyrexio
More
4 years 8 months ago #187600 by phyrexio
Thank you for your responses.

Actually, the problem was the "Token-based response persistence turned ON", as Joffm pointed out.

But unfortunately, I wanted to use LimeSurvey's e-mail sending function (closed survey) AND leave the link available for anyone who clicks the link (open survey), and apparently, this is not possible.

A friend of mine suggested that I created two identical surveys: one open and another closed, so I can use an e-mail database that I have, and still have people who might've found the link answering it.
  • holch
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #187610 by holch
Unfortunately when you use tokens, everyone needs to use tokens to access the survey. But actually I think this makes sense, because usually when you use tokens you want to control the access to the survey and you want to limit the times one person can participate.

But you don't really need to run two different surveys.

What you could do is create a token table with the contacts you have and then add a token without any contact and add a very high number of "uses left" to this token. Then just distribute the link with the token included. Everyone who clicks on it can participate. If you put "uses left" 10.000 it will count down until reach "0" and then no one can participate through this link anymore. The other tokens you leave with "uses left" as "1", so these links can only be used once. As soon as the survey has been completed once through these links, they will not allow another use.

Disadvantage of using a token with a big amount of uses left: You probably can't use token based answer persistence, because otherwise everyone who is answering through this token would continue where the last one left off and this doens't make any sense. You want them to start a new survey.

So probably copying the survey is a good idea. Then in the token based survey you can provide the added confort of token based response persistence (the respondents can stop, close the browser and go back to the survey where they have left off), while you also have the other survey which anyone can access.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by holch.
  • phyrexio
More
4 years 8 months ago #187613 by phyrexio
That's pretty genius, Holch! I think I'll use this approach instead of two surveys. It is pretty short, so disabling token-based answer persistence won't be an issue.

Thank you very much!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose