Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

What resource limits are needed to run LimeSurvey for 50-100 simultaneous users?

• holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 1 month ago #165213 by holch
I am a little confused. You were talking about setting up a server at home on a PC. So this was what I based my recommentation for an alternative on and not on a full fledged professional hosting environment.

Cpanel-Licences are expensive.

And no, PHP and MySQL comes only with the OS if you configure it. You really get a bare metal server, just as you would set it up on your home hosted server. But Digitalocean gives you one click apps that help you set up some basic environments (e.g. www.digitalocean.com/products/one-click-apps/lamp/ ).

Vultr gives you instances with Cpanel ( www.vultr.com/apps/cpanel ), but I guess with this additional cost (+$ 15) it is not really worth to go with something like Vultr.

This type of VPS is best for having dedicated instances per application (e.g. Limesurvey). Otherwise I would rather go with

Not sure what you mean with Sitebuilder? A CMS like Drupal or Wordpress, or rather something WYSIWG like Wix?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • oleggorfinkel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #165214 by oleggorfinkel
It's actually called SiteProBuider, and it's a script that lets you design a wysiwyg wetsite. x10hosting offers it through cPanel. But yes, I imagine that all that costs hosting providers money, so if you want a hosting service with all those bells and whistles, it'll be more expensive than something like DigitalOcean or Vultr...

Oleg G.
  • holch
  • Away
More
6 years 1 month ago #165215 by holch
Exactly. But when you said you would set up your own server at home, then I assumed that bare metal and cheap would be what you are looking for. Because wouldn't have Cpanel or "Sitebuilderpro" have on your self hosted server at home, would you?

But anyway, this is far beyond this forum.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #165216 by oleggorfinkel

holch wrote: Exactly. But when you said you would set up your own server at home, then I assumed that bare metal and cheap would be what you are looking for. Because wouldn't have Cpanel or "Sitebuilderpro" have on your self hosted server at home, would you?

Cpanel, no, but a website builder script would certainly be useful. In any case, the reasoning behind my question was that if I was going to pay for hosting in the first place, it would be useful to get one that already includes all those conveniences, instead of me having to hunt for them, install them and possibly pay extra for them. But, I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch, hehe...

Oleg G.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #165217 by oleggorfinkel

holch wrote: Exactly. But when you said you would set up your own server at home, then I assumed that bare metal and cheap would be what you are looking for. Because wouldn't have Cpanel or "Sitebuilderpro" have on your self hosted server at home, would you?

Cpanel, no, but a website builder script would certainly be useful. In any case, the reasoning behind my question was that if I am going to pay for hosting in the first place, it would be useful to have one that already includes all those conveniences, instead of me having to hunt for them, install them and possibly pay extra for them. But, I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch, hehe...

Oleg G.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose