Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Is the coding for Limesurvey "2.00+" the same as version 2.76.6?

• joannatrinh
  • joannatrinh's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #161711 by joannatrinh
I made a survey in Version 2.76.6 but then realized that I had to transfer it to an account that's version "2.00+" -- this account definitely looks older than 2.76 in terms of looks. I'm stressed because there's a deadline coming up and I still can't work on the account that's version 2.0, but I just have to transfer my survey from the new version to the old version (although the base language of the old version's survey needs to be different). I was going to redo the entire survey but I was wondering, is the coding the same? I had used a lot of equations for random numbers (for randomizing conditions).

Does anyone know the answer to this and can help?
Thanks a million!
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 4 months ago #161713 by jelo

joannatrinh wrote: I'm stressed because there's a deadline coming up and I still can't work on the account that's version 2.0, but I just have to transfer my survey from the new version to the old version (although the base language of the old version's survey needs to be different).

I would be surprised if anyone would guarantee you the 1:1 transfer of an unknown survey-structure from a 2.76.6 to a unknown 2.0+ build. Even if you can import the survey without any issues, you might experience bugs in the old system over running time. You need time in the old system to check that. If you're accountable for the success of the conduction of the survey, I would make a newer version of LimeSurvey a requirement. Good luck.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: joannatrinh
  • joannatrinh
  • joannatrinh's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #161714 by joannatrinh
Thank you, Jelo! Unfortunately I'm not responsible for the conduction of the survey haha. Do you know if the coding for random equations and whatnot will be the same?
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #161716 by LouisGac
equation should be the same.
2.00+ is unsafe, it has security issues.
You should tell to your client that it is extremely important for them to update.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #161723 by holch

joannatrinh wrote: Unfortunately I'm not responsible for the conduction of the survey haha.

Well, I would actually call it "fortunate"! Because it is not your fault if something doesn't work on a totally outdated software.

If the survey is not overly complicated, you should have no major problems. However, you need to test thoroughly, as Jelo suggested, because no one can guarantee for 2.0 installations anymore. They are just too old.

The person responsible for all this should really, really, really consider to update to a newer version. If not the newest, at least to the 2.06 branch. What I don't get is that people obviously use Limesurvey for important projects in a productive environment and still do not do updates. If they would cost loads of money I could understand. But they are free! If you use comfort update you have to pay something, but I think it is reasonable and saves you time.

However, I assume this will not change for this survey, so it doesn't give you an immediate solution. Highlight to them, that you need access to the old installation asap (why won't they give you access anyway? It's not that they don't have if for years yet, isn't it? ;-) ). Make it clear that their version is outdated and that you had no access to such an old installation to test.

That said, you could try to find the old 2.0 installation files somewhere (maybe sourceforge or github) and try to install it and then test for yourself.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by holch.
  • holch
More
6 years 4 months ago #161724 by holch
One other thing: Base language is a tricky thing. Because as far as I know, you can't change the base language from within the system (I don't know why this limitation exists).

I think the only way to change the base language is to correct it in the LSS file by hand. But maybe someone else is able to help here.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• tpartner
More
6 years 4 months ago #161729 by tpartner
Also note that sub-question relevance does not work in the old version.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
6 years 4 months ago #161730 by holch
Good catch, Tpartner. Just thought of Expressions which Louis had mentioned already, but did not think of the subquestion relevance.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose