Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Slow access from Android and iOS (Smartphone or Tablet)

• marcoslopez
  • marcoslopez's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #149308 by marcoslopez
Hello everyone,

We recently launched in my company a Linux server Ubuntu Server 16.10 with LimeSurvey. When accessing to the platform from any browser on a desktop OS the fast is access, instead when we do the same from a browser on a Smartphone OS, Android or iOS, access to each screen is very slow. We have tested with several browsers from the same Smartphone OS or Tablet and the result is the same.

Some clue?

Thanks in advance.
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 1 month ago #149311 by jelo

marcoslopez wrote: We recently launched in my company a Linux server Ubuntu Server 16.10 with LimeSurvey.

What does "in my company" mean relating to the server network?
Your test with desktop and mobile browser includes only device inside the company.
Frist thing that comes to my mind is that desktop and mobile devices are using a different network connection and routing. If you test via a local Wifi or 3/4G is already making a difference. If using Wifi the QoS could be different in the company network.

Perhaps you could provide a demo link? Or describe a bit more what is slow. First access to survey or every page.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • marcoslopez
More
7 years 1 month ago #149314 by marcoslopez
Thanks for the answer.
The LimeSurvey server is only reachable from the LAN. I can't try from a xG network. The slow performance is always a LS page is loading. The browser is stuck for several seconds (even a minute) and finally loads the page. But it only happens with LS page from Android or iOS. If I try to reach the Apache server the response is quick. Because of that I suspect some component in my LS server is not working well with mobile-oriented OS.

Am I missing some component in the server?
More
7 years 1 month ago #149344 by jelo

marcoslopez wrote: The LimeSurvey server is only reachable from the LAN

Fine, so only LAN.

If the issue is with Limesurvey it seems like a render problem.
What LS version is used? Create a new survey with just one question and the default template.
Check again, if speed is slow on all mobile devices.

Since the Server is reached via different routings:
Desktop -> LAN via TP-Cable
Mobile -> LAN via Wireless AP

I wouldn't rule out that your internal routing via Wifi is much slower that the routing via TP-Cable.
The bandwidth is lower. Perhaps more mobile devices are on the local Wifi (updating all those apps all the time). So accessing via Wifi can be the issue.

You might install another PHP application on the Webserver (e.g. Wordpress) to compare access times via browser. Other way is to check bandwidth usage on the Wifi-Accesspoint itself.
What about asking the (network)administrator?

• marcoslopez
More
7 years 1 month ago #149356 by marcoslopez
The version of LimeSurvey is Versión 2.50+ Build 160215.
I think it is something with a component inside survey page because if I access to LS admin page the performance is good.
I discard network issue because using the same WiFi access point and the same network the access is good from a laptop and bad from a smartphone or tablet. It is always the same.
I am going to try in a test environment.

Do not hesitate to share any idea about the reason of this issue. It is very helpful to me!
More
7 years 1 month ago #149369 by jelo
So we can narrow down the issue to LimeSurvey and the survey taking part.
To crosscheck: Did you used different browsers on on mobile device? Same issues on Firefox,Chrome and Safari under iOS?

Next thing I would do:
Install a more recent LS version and try it again with the shipped default template.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose