LimeSurvey Version 2.5 RC released!

More
1 year 5 months ago #126790 by LouisGac
2. Tour
LimeSurvey 2.5 still has a few ergonomic differences compared...

The LimeSurvey team is proud to present you the LimeSurvey 2.5 Release Candidate!
Click here to download it!

1. Presentation

LimeSurvey 2.5 is based on the good old LimeSurvey 2 code, but using the famous front-end framework Bootstrap to render its admin interface. So now, you'll enjoy a modern and responsive admin interface to build your survey. If you're a loyal LimeSurvey user, you will not get lost, and you'll still find all the functionalities you care and love.

The development of the new admin interface pursued four goals:
  • Offer a modern graphical experience
  • Respect the habits of loyal LimeSurvey users and the global ergonomy of LimeSurvey 2
  • Easy to use for new users, thanks to an alert info system providing tips and tricks.
  • Keep as much as possible of the LimeSurvey 2 core code to get LimeSurvey 2.5 working as soon as possible 
Soon, we'll also develop a bootstrap responsive template for surveys.
So, LimeSurvey 2.5 is fully compatible with LimeSurvey 2, and you'll can update to it simply using the brand new ComfortUpdate we just released a few weeks ago...

• LimeSurvey 2.5 : Edit subquestion

LimeSurvey 2.5 : Edit subquestion

This is a full screenshot of LimeSurvey 2.5 when editing some subquestions.

See it live !

• LimeSurvey 2.0x : Edit subquestion

LimeSurvey 2.0x : Edit subquestion

This is a full screenshot of the same page in LimeSurvey 2.0 (editing some subquestions.)

Read more...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #126998 by holch
Thanks for sharing. Looks good.

Here my innitial thoughts:
- Seems like we can't modify the administration template anymore? At least we can't switch the template from the interface.
- There are two text files without a name
- When clicking on Central Participant Database I get the following error message:

Internal Server Error
CDbCommand failed to execute the SQL statement: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'ls250.lime_{{participant_attribute_names}}' doesn't exist
An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. Please contact the webmaster to report this problem.
Thank you.

-the dropdowns for decimals and date format for the survey general options are too short, not showing the whole text.
- When you have the harmonica open for "presentation & navigation" open, which is very long, then scroll down and opent the next "harmonica", which is a lot shorter the page doesn't follow up and you are left with the white space and have to scroll up again.
- Not sure how this is currently, but all languages are activated by default and rather need to be removed than to be added. I think most users will ever need 1 or 2 languages ever, some might need a few more. But there are so many languages that basically no one will ever add, so maybe make people add the languages, rather than having to remove them.
- I am not too convinced of the "save" button up at the top. I would rather expect it just next to where I was working. First thought after removing and adding languages: Great! It is saved automatically?! But then I thought, this can't be and I was searching around and found the "save" option.

Well, that's it from the first look around.

But don't get me wrong: I like the new interface. I am sure that there are things that could be improved, but overall I really like it.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, LouisGac

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #127021 by holch
Played around a little with the new admin interface and it seems that there is no way to create your own style without hacking the default limebootstrap admin template. This is a pity, because I had my installation adapted to my colors. Has this been removed for good or is this just because it is RC?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, LouisGac

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #127191 by LouisGac
Hi holch !

Thanks for your report, it's very useful, and I'll try to correct all reported bugs as soon as possible.

Concerning the customization of the admin interface, we spoke about it with Carsten, and it's something planed for the future.

In short : in the future, the CSS will be generated via Less or Sass, and so it will be possible to generate very quickly different themes for the admin interface. Have a look to the bootstrap customization tools ; knowing it's for bootstrap and LimeSurvey admin interface has its own classes. Of course, we should offer a choice of basic templates, inspired by the old ones. All that could be done quiet quickly.

why : The new admin interface use a totally new html flow compared to 2.0x. So, it's not just about CSS/JS changes, but the architecture of div itself is not the same. This is because Bootstrap use its own HTML structure (like row > columns), and its own classes. So, we can't use anymore the old admin templates, there is no retro-compatibility at all.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by LouisGac.

More
1 year 5 months ago #127211 by holch
Hi Louis, thank you for your response.

I already thought something like this. But I think in this case it makes sense to remove the old folders of admin templates, because they just confuse and take up space.

And one thing that I have seen that you should correct: There are images/files that are referenced from outside of the template folder and I think this will make it very difficult in the future to allow templating. So it would be good to clean those up and have them all in the template folder.

I don't think that you need to provide a choice of basic templates. This is just additional work that is not necessary. If there is the possibility to create/adapt templates easily, this is more than enough. Many people will never change the admin interface. I like to make some adaptations, but usually it is nothing major (company colors, a logo, another font, etc.), which worked pretty well with the gringe green template, I didn't even have to change the icon color.

I am currently working my way around by making a copy of your file, but it is quite difficult to find were certain things are defined. So I couldn't find how to change the color of the header and the outline of the 6 boxes of the start screen in the CSS file. Will have to do some more research.

More
1 year 5 months ago #127218 by LouisGac
absolutely Holch, the css/images system need a second (and probably a third) cycle of dev.
In 2.0x, the yii asset manager wasn't used at all, and it should be used for everything in 2.5x : include the image sources.

I'm working on the sass version right now, to provides different basic templates. So it forces me to do this second cycle of dev.
It should be done today. But, don't expect for a admin template editor in a short delay, because there is still different things to do, not related to CSS compiler (like changing all the pictures color with image magick).

So, you'd rather wait I commit those changes.

More
1 year 5 months ago #127220 by holch
I will definitely wait! I was just playing around with 2.5 RC, because down here we have a long holiday. So I had some time to "play".

I don't think a "templating" system is necessary at all. I don't even think it is necessary to be able to switch the template within the GUI. If we can define a new template within the config file, this is more than enough. I think changing the admin interface is a pretty advanced feature, so not everyone needs this. So we can keep it simple, like creating a copy of the default template, adapt it, include the name of the new folder as the default theme in config and that's it.

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #127329 by LouisGac
Ok, finally, it took me 2 days and half :laugh:

But it was really necessary, it forced me to do a huge clean in the css (ported to sass), to reorganize the images in the file system (100% of all admin image files are inside the admin theme now), to rework the image source, etc. etc.

Whatever, now, there is a theme switcher in 2.5 global settings :
preview.limesurvey.org/index.php?r=admin/globalsettings

Apple Blossom Theme :

You can easily "hack" those themes, change the icons, etc.

The best way to do it :
copy the directory styles/Sea_Green/ or styles/Apple_Blossom to the upload/admintheme/ directory, and rename it (like Muh_Custom). Change whatever you want in it. Then, open the file application/config/third_party.php, at the end of it, just before the last ');' , add :
    // LimeSurvey Bootstrap Admin Interface : Muh Custom Theme
    'lime-bootstrap-Muh_Custom' => array(
        'baseUrl' => 'upload/admintheme/Muh_Custom',

'js'=>array(
            'scripts/notify.js',
            'scripts/save.js',
            'scripts/panelclickable.js',
            'scripts/panelsanimation.js',
        ),

'css' => array(
            'css/lime-admin.css',
            'css/fonts.css',
            'css/font-awesome/font-awesome-43.min.css',
            'css/awesome-bootstrap-checkbox/awesome-bootstrap-checkbox.css',
            'css/statistics.css',

),
        'depends' => array(
            'jquery',
            'jquery-notify',
            'bootstrap'
        ),
    ),

Then select it from global settings. In the future, it should be automatize, with a command in global settings "add a new custom theme". Also, we're going to convert all the png icons to an icon font, so it will be very easy to change the color of it.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by LouisGac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: first

More
1 year 5 months ago #127548 by wingman123
This looks wonderful, thanks for all the effort.

One thing I did notice was
When clicking the "Reorder question groups / questions" under Question and Groups within a survey I get:
Internal Server Error

AdminController cannot find the requested view "/admin/survey/Question/organizequestionbar_view"..
it doesn't appear that the referenced view exists in the code. Otherwise from just clicking around everything looks great
Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac

More
1 year 5 months ago #127550 by LouisGac
thanks for that feedback wingman123 ;)
also, in RC3, most png pictures will be replaced by font icons, so it will be really easy to switch the color theme (and the icons will not look blurry anymore).

More
1 year 5 months ago #127553 by wingman123
No problem thanks for the quick reply, okay sounds good. I did also notice a couple icons missing from the token table and central participants database panel although theyre clickable and everything else works fine - ive attached pictures just fyi.
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #127555 by LouisGac
ok thank you for reporting. I'd like there were more testers like you... ;)

More
1 year 5 months ago #127643 by wingman123
haha you honor me Louis B) just doing my best to break things ;) . For the question re-ordering view, should I try to do a workaround or is it something that would be in the next build ?

Thanks

More
1 year 5 months ago #127673 by wingman123
Also, I noticed that in my case the "Other" option selector for multiple choice, and other question types was unavailable (first screenshot). Looking into it, I noticed that the code which handles toggling the "OtherSelection" element
function OtherSelection(QuestionType)
was receiving an
undefined
after receiving a proper value of "M" (second screenshot)
The code in admin_core.js in question was
if ($("#question_type_button").not('.none').length > 0 && $("#question_type_button").attr('type')!='hidden'){

qTypeDropdownInit();
        $("#question_type_button").change(function(event){
            console.log("this.value = " + this.value);
            OtherSelection(this.value);
        });
        $("#question_type_button").change();
    }
    else
    {
        $("#question_type.none").change(function(event){
            OtherSelection(this.value);
        });
        $("#question_type.none").change();
    }

If I commented out this code, the other selector shows up fine (third screenshot). Im still looking into the full ramifications of commenting that piece out but just wanted to report it if you've seen something similar. Thanks
Attachments:

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #127985 by wingman123
Hi Louis,

Found another couple small things listed below, if you want me to open a ticket on bug tracker please let me know

1. After I deactivate a survey, (sid =597944) if I go to List Surveys, I get the following error
Internal Server Error
CDbCommand failed to execute the SQL statement: SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'limesurvey.lime_survey_597944' doesn't exist
An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. Please contact the webmaster to report this problem.
Thank you.
If i have debug in config.php set to non zero then I don't receive this error

2. When Survey is active, I am still able to edit question Types
I cannot add new groups or questions but I CAN change a question type (not on debug mode) which I believe isn't the right functionality. In some cases it will give an error or it will change fine. But we shouldn't be able to change the question type at all when the survey is active correct? Maybe removing or disabling the form element when active?

3. When creating a new token entry for a survey, if you click "Save and Close" you receive the following error (save_and_close_token_entry screenshot) - the "Save" button and "Close" button work fine however :)

Thanks for your hard work again
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by wingman123.