Important changes for the LimeSurvey project

More
1 year 8 months ago #126199 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz created the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project

Dear LimeSurvey user,

We would like to inform you about important changes behind the LimeSurvey project.

In this article:
  • LimeSurvey.org: Behind the scenes
  • New service: ComfortUpdate
  • Upcoming features & changes for 2.x branch
  • The long run: LimeSurvey 3
  • LimeSurvey user story - Dr. Grieger & Cie. Market Research

LimeSurvey.org: Behind the scenes

The LimeSurvey project has for a long time been a project driven only by great volunteers - they put in alot of work, all spent from their free time. In later years LimeService (the hosting service) and the LimeSurvey Partners network were created.
However, more and more maintenance is required, not only for the project itself but also for the source code due to its sheer size.
LimeSurvey is now so big and successful that coding new functions/features and redesigning existing features takes usually too much time for a single volunteer coder, who usually can not spare more than a few hours per week.
So we founded the company 'LimeSurvey GmbH' and we are happy to announce that we now hired two full-time coders, Louis Gac and Olle Härstedt, who will work together with our volunteers to speed up LimeSurvey development and create new great features!

New service: ComfortUpdate - 50% OFF

ComfortUpdate is a module in LimeSurvey which helps you to update LimeSurvey to the latest version with a few mouse clicks instead of downloading the files and uploading them to your server.
We rewrote the code behind ComfortUpdate to make it much safer to use & update and ComfortUpdate is now part of apremium package that you can buy at LimeSurvey.org. We offer one month of trial use so you can test it out thoroughly and see if it is useful for your future updates.
Also when buying the ComfortUpdate package we currently offer a 50% discount - just use the coupon code 'DISCOUNT50' at the checkout.

Upcoming features & changes for the LimeSurvey 2.x branch

Our immediate goals are now to change two things. At the moment we are coding to give the existing LimeSurvey 2.06 administration a more contemporary design.
If you want to sneak a peak please visit preview.limesurvey.org - your feedback is welcome - please note that we are updating the preview version as we go.

On top of that we are working on a responsive template so any survey can easily be used on mobile and desktop devices at the same time. The new template system will be primarily based on the bootstrap framework and this new responsive template also will be the new default template.
To make it fully compatible and completely responsive some changes to the template system will be required which our coders are currently working on.

The long run: LimeSurvey 3

One of our long time team members and volunteers, Sam Mousa, is currently the main developer on LimeSurvey 3  and we are proud that a big part of this development is backed by theWorld Health Organization. Sam Mousa invested a huge amount of time on this rewrite and our full-time developers will step in soon.
This version is largely a complete rewrite of the 2.0 codebase, with the Central Participant Database completely rewritten, lots of new feature and better performance. We expect to release a stable Version 3.0 by early 2016.

A LimeSurvey user story - Dr. Grieger & Cie. Market Research

The market research firm Dr. Grieger & Cie. Market Researchfrom Germany is using LimeSurvey since 2010. They run online access panels in more than 50 countries on their website www.mobrog.com. They conduct surveys with more than 100.000 participants each month using LimeSurvey. “For us LimeSurvey has always been the preferred choice among so many survey systems out there”, says Gunnar Grieger, founder and owner of Dr. Grieger & Cie. Market Research. “We tested many commercial tools in the past. However, LimeSurvey always met our needs. What we like most is the dedicated support and the continuous development of new features. Good luck, going professional, LimeSurvey!”

Do you want to tell us your story in an upcoming newsletter? This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #126205 by Ben_V
Ben_V replied the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project

c_schmitz wrote: we are proud that a big part of this development is backed by the World Health Organization.

Hi Carsten,
can you tell us a bit more about the kind of support granted by WHO ?
Thanks.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)

More
1 year 8 months ago #126220 by tammo
tammo replied the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project
Carsten,

in order to make use of what the community produced, you are welcome to use the TFR Responsive template (Free edition) as a basis for further development. We have spent some 300 hours in it, based it on Bootstrap.

Perhaps we cooperate on this free standard template.

www.toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template

We could make this available for the development team on Github.

Tammo ter Hark

Tammo ter Hark at Tools for Research
Proud developers of the TFR Responsive Limesurvey template
toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template

More
1 year 8 months ago #126226 by holch
holch replied the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project
I agree with Ben. It would be very interesting to know how the World Health Organization is supporting the project.

I think having an organization like the WHO should be something that is a lot more prominent. I think it could be used to "market" Limesurvey a little bit better.

In this newsletter this is just disappearing. To be honest, I just overread it and only noticed it when Ben mentioned it. But I think this is something that should be highlighted and I think it diserves its own blog post / newsletter entry.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #126228 by mascarpone
mascarpone replied the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project
Hi Folks!

A few precisions on our involvment with LimeSurvey: we've strated using LS about 3 years ago in WHO's Humanitarian Emergencies department to support the implementation of fairly simple assessments (i.e. one time data collection exercises). What we loved about it is the plasticity of the form design (and the many "controls" that can be enforced at the time of data entry) as well as the variety of processes that can be supported through the use of tokens. The open-source nature of the project was of course also essential.

Yet, LS did not allow us address our most challenging needs at the time which may be summarized as follows: allowing a user/token to generate "n" responses to a given survey and then manage those responses over time (create new response, edit/duplicate/delete an existing response).

We first envisaged addressing that need through other platforms/solutions but then thought it may be more coherent and sustainable in the long run to expend the scope of LS. So that is in essence how the discussion/collaboration on 3.0 started.

We're very happy to be able to support the project I have to say and very enthousiastic about the upcoming features. I think these can really open LS to new grounds in data collection/management. That's going to be the case for us at least and I really hope we'll be able to start playing with 3.0 sooner than what is indicated in the newsletter :P

I take advantage of that message to thank you all for the excellent work on LS and for all the great support you provide on an ongoing basis on this forum and of which I'm a regular consummer ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by mascarpone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, Ben_V, first, LouisGac

More
1 year 8 months ago #126232 by holch
Hi Mas Carpone!

Thank you very much for the feedback. Very interesting to see the involvement of WHO and also the commitment to provide back to a open source project. It is the only way a project like LS can survive over a long time.

I also can't wait to get my hands on a alpha or beta of LS 3. I think it is a necessary move and the whole team should support Sam as soon as possible. Limesurvey is updated quite frequently. While I like this, I think it would be a good move to have a freeze for 2.x and only fix problems (once the new backend interface is implemented).

I think we really should move forward with the "cut" as soon as possible, even if this means that there will be a few months without new features for LS.

But great to see that the project is moving quite a bit and that there is also involvement of big users like the WHO is going on, because sometimes it seems that there isn't much coming back.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #126233 by Ben_V
@mas_carpone,
Thank you a lot for all those precisions. In my opinion, everything you just described are really good news and encouragements for the whole LS community.
If LS was used for healthcare purposes before the 1.92 version, the integration of the Expression Manager (EM) system by Dr Tom White have made almost everything possible and LS is more & more cited in medical papers (eg. the last one ).

Note: In my opinion, it could be really great if the @limesurvey Twitter channel may present & share in real time all the available valuable use made with the software...

Benoît

Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Ben_V. Reason: add "note"
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch

More
1 year 8 months ago #126249 by Ben_V
Dear All,

c_schmitz wrote: The new template system will be primarily based on the bootstrap framework and this new responsive template also will be the new default template

tammo wrote: in order to make use of what the community produced, you are welcome to use the TFR Responsive template (Free edition) as a basis for further development.

Sorry, I'm curious...and lost: Will TFR Responsive template be this new default template?
:unsure:

Benoît

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #126253 by mascarpone

holch wrote: I also can't wait to get my hands on a alpha or beta of LS 3. I think it is a necessary move and the whole team should support Sam as soon as possible. Limesurvey is updated quite frequently. While I like this, I think it would be a good move to have a freeze for 2.x and only fix problems (once the new backend interface is implemented).

But great to see that the project is moving quite a bit and that there is also involvement of big users like the WHO is going on, because sometimes it seems that there isn't much coming back.

Well... I can only second that of course... :) although I know there are other dynamics to be considered. The environment here as in many other organizations is quite competitive, particularly on information systems, and open source platforms aren't really the norm, so time is really crucial - particularly as we move into a structural reform.

The features we expect with LS3 (I have mentioned the monitoring dimension, but that includes also "users dashboards" with projects, etc.) are an essential step in really making LimeSurvey a core system here and I am sure, after spending almost 10 years in the field of humanitarian response, that this may well be the case of other agencies too.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by mascarpone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V

More
1 year 8 months ago #126255 by mascarpone

Ben_V wrote: @mas_carpone,
Thank you a lot for all those precisions. In my opinion, everything you just described are really good news and encouragements for the whole LS community.
If LS was used for healthcare purposes before the 1.92 version, the integration of the Expression Manager (EM) system by Dr Tom White have made almost everything possible and LS is more & more cited in medical papers (eg. the last one ).

Note: In my opinion, it could be really great if the @limesurvey Twitter channel may present & share in real time all the available valuable use made with the software...

Yes, it's important for us to push things back to the community and presentations on our work can definitely be a part of that. I am happy to contribute information on how we use LS at a later stage when we have moved to LS3 and things are a bit more settled.

I have also planned to present that work to partner agencies/NGO's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V

More
1 year 8 months ago #126260 by Ben_V

mas_carpone wrote: The features we expect with LS3 (I have mentioned the monitoring dimension, but that includes also "users dashboards" with projects, etc.)

:ohmy: I can't imagine the result of an updated "LS development history visualization" document ...

Benoît

More
1 year 8 months ago #126274 by holch
Would be fun to see how the Expression Manager comes into play...

More
1 year 8 months ago #126281 by Ben_V

Holch wrote: Would be fun to see how the Expression Manager comes into play...

... and the Yii framework (LS 2.00)

Benoît

More
1 year 8 months ago #126389 by c_schmitz
c_schmitz replied the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project

Ben_V wrote:

mas_carpone wrote: The features we expect with LS3 (I have mentioned the monitoring dimension, but that includes also "users dashboards" with projects, etc.)

:ohmy: I can't imagine the result of an updated "LS development history visualization" document ...

Yes, we have to update that one some time soon ;).

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader

More
1 year 7 months ago #128077 by hrcittl
hrcittl replied the topic: Important changes for the LimeSurvey project
Greetings!

I need to purchase a ComfortUpdate key.

I would like to take advantage of the DISCOUNT50 code but, when entering that in the purchase page and pressing next, the payment vendor still wants to charge full price. Has the discount period finished?

Many thanks.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now