Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to migrate from free CE yo paid On-Prem with Comfort Update

• eyeballs
  • eyeballs's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #186931 by eyeballs
Hi,

I attempted to update from CE 3.16 to the latest and ran into issues; Upgrade was not successful and i reverted the snapshot.

How does the paid version work with Comfort upgrade? Do i just enter a key and click install and everything goes smoothly? Or do i need to reinstall a new version and loose all my custom settings?

Thanks in advance.
Eyeballs.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #186932 by holch
There are only two versions of Limesurvey Afaik:

1. Community edition - installed on your own servers and administred by you.
2. SaaS - hosted version on server from Limesurvey GmbH and administered by them.

For 2, everything should be done by them, but you can't just install stuff (plugins) like you want.

For 1, you can update manually or you can purchase a key for Comfort Update. Usually you just save the key in your installation and generally updates run smoothly. There might be some hickups here and then, but as a paid customer you can create a support ticket with them. But it is the very same CE edition that you can download here. You just can use the comfort update. Not more, not less. So far I never had any trouble with comfort update. Only once or twice my installation wouldn't connect to the update server correctly, generally the next day it would work without a problem.

But regarding your failed update: even manual updates should work smoothly. However, seems like up to this morning version 3.17.8 was actually 4.0.0beta and if you tried it with this erroneous zip file, update will most definitely fail.

So maybe try updating again with the new ZIP file, if you had tried with 3.17.8 downloaded earlier today or before.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by holch.
  • eyeballs
More
4 years 8 months ago #186934 by eyeballs
Thank you. Will purchase the key today and hope for the best.
  • holch
More
4 years 8 months ago #186936 by holch
I think if you are planning to use Limesurvey seriously it is a good investment. Can you make the update manually? Without a problem. It isn't too difficult. But Comfort Update offers, just as the name says, a lot of comfort in updating and you will most probably keep you installation more up to date, because it is fairly quick and easy and won't take you more than 5 minutes clicking through the interface, downloading the backups run the update and login again.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #186952 by LouisGac
you have a free key with you ls account. You'll find it on your profile:
www.limesurvey.org/cbprofile/eyeballs
  • eyeballs
More
4 years 8 months ago #186967 by eyeballs
i panicked! I purchased a key....good investment. This forum is outstanding. Thanks all.
  • eyeballs
More
4 years 8 months ago #186968 by eyeballs
Comfort Update worked like a charm. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose