Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Change password for users/other administrators

More
5 years 10 months ago #169597 by John_K
Hi holch,
Yes- LS did send eMail for version LS 3.7.2 when user request via the "Forgot your password" option(however LS372 did have another issue "Implicit conversion error" when user tries to change their PW.- Bug-13700: )
--So instead decided to install 3.8.1--
BUT LS 3.8.1 does not get the 1st part correct- 'Create a new user'. Bug#13726
Thanks
JK

I am using LS 3.8.1 with Apache & SQL Server.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 10 months ago #169598 by holch
Well, you can always create a bug report. But I feel like the answer will be: can you reproduce it with the latest version? This makes sense, because it might be fixed already in a newer version, thus it wouldn't make sense for the developers to fix things that are already fixed.

So ideally you update to the latest version and test if the problem persists. If so: Bug report. If it doesn't: be happy! ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 10 months ago #169602 by John_K
Hi bramint & 30460433

I'll desc/list what I did, what worked for me & the steps I took/performed to get each Use case working, in hopes it might help U too.
Use Case #1: LS not generating email for PW re-set or when Creating a new user.
**When Admin creates a new user or when user attempts to re-set their PW, LS should be sending out an email to the user.
However LS does not perform this action.

What I did & What worked for me: Change the way LS handles sending email
LS is configured to use PHP to send out email(configured PHP with my SMTP)
Instead I changed it so LS will directly use SMTP configured in LS
  1. Click on Configuration->Global settings.
  2. Email method: Choose 'SMTP' instead of PHP. Under SMTP host: type in ur org's mail server id. Click Save & Close.
(This worked for me/solved on Use case#2, Option 2)Forgot your password?(User re-sets their own PW))

Use Case #2:Create a new user.
**Creating a new user via the 'Add user' option generates a 'Failed to add user' msg & does not generate the LS mail to the user.(C pic "'NoPWemail_Failed to Add New User'ErrorPic")
However, when I go back to Configuration -> Manage survey administrators, I can/do see the new user that I had tried to create earlier via 'Add user' option, listed there.

What I/user Want: For the user to add/change their own PWs.

There R 2 Option to changing/re-setting a users PW
Options:
1)Editing user (Admin resets user PW)
2)Forgot your password?(User re-sets their own PW)

What I did & What worked for me:
For Option:
  1. Editing user (Admin resets user PW)-
a)Click on 'Set global permission for this user' icon, for the user U are trying to reset PW.
b)Under 'Edit user permissions for user JK' Check on the following permissions for the user; Surveys, Templates & Use internal database authentication. Then click Save.
c)Click on 'Edit this user' icon.
d)Under 'Editing user' type in a temp PW for this user & click Save.
e)Have the user login to LS with the temp PW that the admin had typed in.(This worked for me)
f)After user logs in, User will/can change their PW. Under 'My Account -> My profile' Click 'Change password'
g)User logs in with their new PW. (This worked for user) Success.

2. Forgot your password?(User re-sets their own PW)-
a)User goes to login screen of LS. Click on 'Forgot your password?' & Fill in requested info.
b)User will get email from LS with temp PW.
c)User logs in to LS with the LS generated temp PW.(This worked for the user)
d)After user logs in, User will/can change their PW. Under 'My Account -> My profile' Click 'Change password'
e)User logs in with their new PW. (This worked for user) Success.

BUT for me, the `1st part is still an issue.
**Creating a new user via the 'Add user' option generates a 'Failed to add user' msg & does not generate the LS mail to the user.
However, the new user gets listed under 'User control' in Configuration -> Manage survey administrators.

Hope the workaround works
Thanks
JK
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169604 by holch
In general, I would always recommend to use SMTP as email option. However, it should still work with PHP, as long as it is configured correctly, your server/host isn't putting limits for emails send via php and it is not blocked on the other end (email server).

So if the problems that you describe persist in the latest version, then a bug report is definitely necessary.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
5 years 10 months ago #169608 by jelo

holch wrote: In general, I would always recommend to use SMTP as email option.

LimeSurvey shouldn't send the password via email if not wanted. The main source of issues around the mail topic is when users are using a local installation on there personal computer. The php mail way is then a nogo.
SMTP will offer the best chances to get emails out. But the local installation should not need email to get passwords. It should be possible to create users without emailadress and predefine a password.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169642 by holch

LimeSurvey shouldn't send the password via email if not wanted.

I agree here. There should be an option that allows the super admin to create users and prevent emails to be sent.
But from what I understood here, the problem is, that no emails are sent, wenn people want to reset their passwords.

• holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169643 by holch

The super-Administrator can't change other's password .

Of course the super admin can change passwords of other admins. I just did it. If you can't, there is something wrong with your system (I use LS 3.9.0).

I received the email with the created password.
I could change the password of the new users as super admin
I could log into the system
I could reset the password as the new user and received the email
I could change the password as the new user and could log in.
I

More
5 years 10 months ago #169670 by John_K
I decided to install LS3.9.0 just now-June08 '18. And My Environment is Windows 2012-Apache/PHP-SQL Server 2014(all 64Bit).

Hi 30460433,
Ive discovered this about LS.
  1. If LS admin assigns a new user the 'Superadministrator' permission, then the admin will NOT be able to re-set PW for user
  2. But, if LS admin does NOT give the new user 'Superadministrator' permission, then the admin Can re-set PW for user!!
  3. U said 'The super-Administrator can't change other's password . This desicion is right.' If U R stating that admin should NOT be able to reset a users PW, then as an admin I disagree. Users always come to admins to get their broken fixed- & most comon is having PW re-set. If I misread ur mail-I defer.

Hi Holch, Took ur suggestion & installed LS390
U said 'I received the email with the created password.'
R U refering to the 1st step when U create a new user & the User receives a mail from LS with the temp PW??
  1. Cause, after installing LS390(same as urs) I still get the 'Failed to Add User' error msg at step#1 'Create a new user'. Since it errored, LS obviously does not send the PW email.
  2. However, LS somehow manages to create the user, as evidenced by navigating back to Configuration -> Manage survey administrators.- I C the new user listed there. C Pic "NewUserFailedBUT_LSstillCreateIt"
This definately looks like a bug..
  1. As the Admin, I changed the password of this new users- User was able to signon to LS & change their PW to their own & logoff-logon back in with their own PW successfully. Here the user does not get a mail from LS as User signs on with temp PW to change his own.
  2. This next part refers to User re-seting their own PW, via the Forgot your password? option.
    The User gets an email from LS with the temp reset PW. User able to log in with this temp PW & change their PW, log off & log back in with their own new PW.
  3. Email method: is PHP. So this issue from 381 is resolved in 390.
So now the 1st Step part is still an issue. 'Create a new user' fails with 'Failed to Add User' error msg.
From an Admin side I could perform the workaround-"Re-set/change the password of the new users", to get my users access to LS.
But This is a BUG. Agree??
Regards
JK
P.s. Importing .lss from 2.06 did not re-produce all the Groups/Qs for me in 3.72. Going to test this part next in 390.
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #169673 by holch
I created a new user and the email was sent without any problems. So it might be a bug that only appears in your specific configuration or it is your configuration that causes problems.

I went through the whole process and everything worked fine. From creating the user over receiving the email to changing passwords to receiving the password reset email.

I am assuming that something does not work with your configuration. Either a bug that only appears with your setup (my guess would be it has to do with MS SQL, my system is Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or your email setup is problematic.

You would say you submit a bug report with all details possible about your setup and the problems you have. You might have to create actually different bug reports, because you have various different issues.

More
5 years 10 months ago #169675 by John_K
Thanks Holch.

Holch>'So it might be a bug that only appears in your specific configuration or it is your configuration that causes problems.'
JK- I dont mind if it is my configuration that causes this problem. The challenge is to know/ID the 'where & what' configuration need to be checked/modified in which files.

Its the 'Failed to Add User' error msg part that bugs me.
>>I know that LS can communicate with SQL Server, as I C that the 3 Users are inserted in [LIMESURVEY390].[dbo].[lime_users] table & LS displays it in the app.

Some piece of code(where?) is trigering the error msg, negating the PW email from being send to the new user.
>>Again I know for a fact its not an issue with email service, cause the user did receive the reset password email via the Forgot your password? option.
Any ideas?

My limesurvey\application\config\config.php is set to 'debug'=>2.
I might need to open issue specific bug reports.
Regards
JK
  • elissa
More
5 years 9 months ago #170455 by elissa
Hi,
I guess I have a similar problem. I can create an user but the email with password is not sent - failed to send the email. I cannot change the password because the default password cannot be changed by the admin. The remind password functionality does not work - email is not sent.

I use SMTP and it works for invitation emails and for emails to a group of users.

Was there any progress in this topic?

LS 3.12.2+180625 but it was present in previous verions but I waited for update to check it.

Elzbieta Lesinska
LS voluntary Polish translator and supervisor
More
5 years 9 months ago #170457 by John_K
Hi Elzbieta,
Started seeing this issue with LS372 & I am now at LS 312.1 with no fix yet.

You can let LS team know of ur incident-add your issue to this existing bug report @ bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=13752

Though this is still a bug, I have tested & documented a workaround here & at
www.limesurvey.org/forum/installation-a-...d-new-user-error-msg

Latest LS release as of today June27 is(limesurvey3.12.3+180627)

What LS version are U experiencing this 'Failed to Add New User' issue?
Regards
JK

My LS Install is on WinServer 2012, Apache/PHP, MSSQL 2014.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose