Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

LS 3.7 major issues (deleted subQs after export-import, translation, ect.)

• krosser
  • krosser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #167584 by krosser
Hey folks,

There are at least two major issues I've encountered today.

1. When I export my survey (.lss) and import it into my other account, many questions lose subquestions.

2. When I translate my survey (online in the editor) and add subquestions in the 2nd language, the 1st language subquestions are deleted.

2.1 The feature "quick add" for subquestions doesn't work when adding the second language (when translating). It just replaces the original language subquestions.

This is so messed up, I can't believe it, guys. How can the platform this big and famous be so buggy! I cannot work efficiently with this instrument. I had LS version 1.6 last year installed in my organization and this year I thought I would have the best of the best by using 3.6+ and argued with my colleagues that we should switch/upgrade, but I'm speechless because of issues I have to deal with while working on a very important project/survey.
There has not been a day since I haven't dealt with bugs... Like another annoying issue:

3. When you drug a question from one group of questions into the other, all questions in that group lose their original position (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...) and become random (2, 4, 5, 1, 3...) and I have to carefully sort them out again in that group. I waste so much time on this...

EDIT: just encountered another one...
4. Exported couple of surveys into Tab separated text (instead of .lss file to avoid the above issue), but got errors while simply importing .txt files back in my other account (which worked before with earlier versions of the survey).

And the survey cannot be transferred at all using .txt.

I'm using the latest LS 3.22 hosted on LS servers, not installed locally.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by krosser. Reason: added the 4th point
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #167586 by Joffm
Hi, krosser,

When I export my survey (.lss) and import it into my other account, many questions lose subquestions.

This is not very specific and I could not reproduce.

When I translate my survey (online in the editor) and add subquestions in the 2nd language, the 1st language subquestions are deleted.

I had my subquestions in English, then added with "quick add/ add" (NOT with "Replace") one German and one English.
And I "translated" the German texts by adding a "ger"

The only minor issue is that the "SQ" is missing from the code.

Then I translated the spanish part in "quick translation.
And still everything is there:

Exported couple of surveys into Tab separated text (instead of .lss file to avoid the above issue), but got errors while simply importing .txt files back in my other account (which worked before with earlier versions of the survey).

This one I could reproduce. And the error message exactly mentions these subquestions where the "SQ" is missing in the code.

Of course, I am not sure what you're really doing.
I can only try to reproduce according to your description.
Let's wait if other users struggle with the same issues.

BTW: Which database do you use? Is it postgres?
Then there is a bug report
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=13588
that might be similar to your "group drag problem"

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Joffm.
  • krosser
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 11 months ago #167676 by krosser
Hi Joffm,

Thanks for trying to help! Sorry for the delay with my reply, because I didn't get a notification about your post.

Which version did you use to try to reproduce the issues? Also 3.7.0?

Also, I guess you use the LS installed on your server/or whatever and I don't. I use it provided by the LS team. So, I don't know which database they use. I'm not an IT guy who installs it on a corporate server and maintains it. I'm a researcher who uses the platform to create and run surveys, along with my other colleagues. By the way, the issue with deleted subquestions/answers could confirm my other colleague (on other computers) who works on translation of our surveys.

• krosser
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #167678 by krosser
Also, Joffm, I've realised what you did in your attempt to reproduce the issue with translation. You just added the translated answers below the original ones and not on a separate tab for the second language.

I have it on a separate tab and when I run the survey, I switch between the languages (in the drop down menu) and it switches between the translated questions with answer options and so on. I don't have two languages on the same page.

BTW that is why in my other thread I've asked about the way how to make the logo switch between the pages of different languages... see?

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by krosser.
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #167747 by holch
If you use Limesurvey Pro (SaaS), then you should open a support ticket (go to "Support" on this website).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose