Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Local hosting?

• gfranzen
  • gfranzen's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #152374 by gfranzen
Local hosting? was created by gfranzen
Trying to find out if I can install and host a local instance of the LimeSurvey CE in my companies environment. Was following the install guide for the community edition and got to the hosting section and followed the link to compatible hosting companies of which I recognize none of the US based ones. Are you not able to host the software on a local web server?
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 11 months ago #152393 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Local hosting?
Current "last stable release" 2.64 branch:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey

"Classic" 2.6 (aka 2.06) LTS branch:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/2.06lts

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
6 years 11 months ago #152394 by tammo
Replied by tammo on topic Local hosting?
Or download form here: www.limesurvey.org/editions-and-prices/l...and-prices-community

Just pick the free version. You can always update manually later. I personally pay for the comfort update. It saves me time and mental burden.

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 11 months ago #152402 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Local hosting?
Of course you can download Limesurvey and host it whereever you want. You need a webserver that supports PHP and MySQL (with the respective versions that you'll find in the install section).

I am not quite sure why you are looking for hosting companies, but you say you want to "host a local instance of the LimeSurvey CE in my companies environment".

I assume you want to do surveys within your local network (no access from outside). Then you only need to set up a webserver accessible through your local lan network and install LS onto this webserver.

In case that you would like to have the surveys accessible from outside your LAN (so over the web) I think you should really know what you are doing, because this can open some security problems. I would try to avoid anything that allows others form outside to access my local network (except for a good configured VPN maybe). In this case I would recommend to install it on a webserver that is hosted outside.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• gfranzen
More
6 years 11 months ago #152460 by gfranzen
Replied by gfranzen on topic Local hosting?
Thanks for the replies everyone! So I have been following the directions found at:

manual.limesurvey.org/Installation#General

Pretty sure I have done all the pre-requisite steps but am still having issues with the actual install.

Downloaded the limesurvey2.64.7+1704040.tar.gz and unpackaged it at /home/suser/limesurvey, but am not able to find an actual installer file.

The link above makes it sound like if everything is in place that you should be able to visit www.example.com/limesurvey/admin and that will kick off the install process but that didn't happen for me, just takes me to an "Example Domain" splash page. Would imagine the ' www.example.com ' needs to get replaced but trying the IP of the VM and the DNS name for it didn't work.

Have also seen talk of downloading/installing directly from a web repo but have been unsuccessful in my attempts to that end as well. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!
  • holch
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #152461 by holch
Limesurvey is a web application based on PHP/Mysql. There is no installer file. There is a install process though, that will start if you put the files into the correct folder on your webserver that is running php and mysql and access the correct URL with a browser.

Where are you trying to install Limesurvey? What kind of server? How do you access it?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by holch.
  • gfranzen
More
6 years 11 months ago #152462 by gfranzen
Replied by gfranzen on topic Local hosting?
Is there a standard folder the files need to be in, and how is the URL you need to go to to kick off the install determined? Thanks for your response!
  • holch
More
6 years 11 months ago #152463 by holch
Well, under Apache the folder where web projects go usually is called /www/ or /htdocs/ but this has more to do with setting up a webserver than Limesurvey. So this kind of support is outside the scope of this LS forum. So first of all you need to be clear where you need to install LS to on your VM ware. Best to ask the system admin in your company/organization. Once that is done, you need to find out how you can access this folder, what the correct path is.

If you install it on a webserver that has the domain www.yourdomain.com and into the subfolder /limesurvey/, you would do your access via www.yourdomain.com/limesurvey/ and then the installation process should you guide through this.

But first you need to get the correct information on how to use your specific setup / server. It is basically impossible to help you with that, as this can be setup in various different ways. If you access the VM via an IP you will most probably put the IP into your browser. If LS is installed into a subfolder it is the IP plus th e subfolder, similar like the URL example above, just substitute the domain with the IP.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose