Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

New release of the TFR Responsive template available.

• tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #146027 by tammo
For version 2.05/2.06/2.6.2 only.
Does not work on version 2.5x

Tools for Research just released a new version of their free responsive template for the older versions of LimeSurvey.
Please visit toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template for more details.

No spectacular new features, just some minor improvements.

Why did we not develop something for the most recent release of LimeSurvey?
In February of this year, LimeSurvey released a completely new version of LimeSurvey. The most relevant changes were:
  1. New administrative interface. Unfortunately this was in our opinion a set back from earlier versions. After some time the team at LS agreed on making several improvements, some of which are still in development as of today. We think that this may develop into something good, but as compared to the previous version (2.05/2.06), we think that the current administrative user interface (A-UI) in 2.06/2.6.2 is still better than what is available in 2.5x now.
  2. Other structure for templates. This made our custom template (TFR Responsive) unusable in the new version 2.5x of LimeSurvey. This summer we discussed this with the development team. This resulted in a near complete overhaul of the HTML structure of the output of LimeSurvey (what the respondent sees). This action was co-ordinated by Denis Chenu, who worked day and night on this. At a recent meeting of the development team it was decided to postpone all this excellent work. But for a good reason: the development team wants to build in the TWIG engine, thereby making custom templates easier.

Once the integration is ready, I guess the LimeSurvey developers will be happy to write something about the implications here on the LimeSurvey website (or in the manual, or both...)

What is this of use for you?
If you are using our template in 2.06/2.6.2 and want to keep using it: do not upgrade to the newest version. LimeSurvey 2.6.2 (available when you use the comfortupdate solution) is very stable and offers nearly everything that is in LimeSurvey 2.5x.
Our template offers an excellent user experience and will do so until we develop a new version for 3.0 of LimeSurvey.

Currently developing a version for 2.5x is not worth the trouble, because between each update there are too many changes and we cannot develop a version of our template that will work on all versions (builds) that have been released.

Our recommendation:
  • If you are working on version 2.06 or 2.6.2 keep it that way, but take care to always use the most recent version that is available. Comfortupdate will help you with that.
  • If you are working with version 2.5x and are happy with it, keep it that way.
  • If you are working with version 2.5x and still want to use our template: either downgrade to version 2.6.2, of wait until Spring!
  • If you want your own customised version of our template: contact us.
  • Whatever version you want to use: use the comfortupdate, it will save you (and the support people) a lot of time!

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by tammo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, elissa, Ben_V
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
More
7 years 3 months ago #146029 by tammo
Comfortupdate (as part of the Community Edition Premium Packages): www.limesurvey.org/services

respondage.nl
More
7 years 3 months ago #146032 by fvanderstarre
Replied by fvanderstarre on topic New release of the TFR Responsive template available.
Hi Tammo,
When importing the new tfr_responsive template it looks as if there is a superfluous directory level "tfr_responsive" in the zip file, resulting in "startpage.pstpl not found".
After manually uploading all template files to a tfr_responsive directory, all was well.
Keep up the good work!
Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: tammo
  • tammo
More
7 years 3 months ago #146035 by tammo
Thank you, I have corrected this!

respondage.nl
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 months ago #146048 by DenisChenu

tammo wrote: This action was co-ordinated by Denis Chenu, who worked day and night on this.

You help and support me , thanks.

tammo wrote: At a recent meeting of the development team it was decided to postpone all this excellent work. But for a good reason: the development team wants to build in the TWIG engine, thereby making custom templates easier.

For information : this part surely take some more time, and really : i'm not respoinsible of new bug introduced when moving to twig ..... My job is done now.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V
More
7 years 3 months ago #146053 by Ben_V
Thank you Tammo :)

tammo wrote: LimeSurvey 2.6.2 (available when you use the comfortupdate solution)

Also available on Github & Framagit ( Denis' one ) for manual update

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
7 years 3 months ago #146077 by jelo
Thanks for the update. I haven't followed the TFR lately. Are external Fonts via Google still the default setting?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tammo
More
7 years 3 months ago #146079 by tammo
Yes, fonts come from Google. I cannot remember: do you think this is an issue?

Tammo

respondage.nl
More
7 years 3 months ago #146096 by jelo

tammo wrote: Yes, fonts come from Google. I cannot remember: do you think this is an issue?

Google gets IP from every user. When conducting a survey the author of the survey has to be aware that respondents are revealing their IP to Google. Everybody is focused on Google Analytics, but Google Maps and Google Fonts are embedded too.

Performance can be different too. Hosting via Google Fonts, CDN or local.
speckyboy.com/speed-google-fonts-wordpress/

Since Limesurvey isn't offering a complete filemanager for the theme/template section, the upload and organizing of fonts can be a bit tricky.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tammo
More
7 years 3 months ago #146097 by tammo
I guess we will leave this as it is for that template and make something better for the 3.0 version, with fonts embedded. Hopefully the developers will allow the upload of fonts...

Tammo

respondage.nl
  • Mazi
More
3 years 8 months ago #202637 by Mazi

tammo wrote: I guess we will leave this as it is for that template and make something better for the 3.0 version...

UPDATE: The TFR Responsive template is finally available for Limesurvey 3 and Limesurvey 4. We have re-build it from scratch in order to work with the new Limesurvey versions and the new template technology used there.

You can get it at survey-consulting.com/product/limesurvey...late-tfr-responsive/

Test survey: ls300demo.survey-consulting.com/index.ph...92?newtest=Y&lang=en

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose