Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Expression Manager in the latest version of LimeSurvey

• amolinue
  • amolinue's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #143695 by amolinue
Hi all!

I am new on LimeSurvey. I am trying to create a new survey but i am not able to create conditions. I have been searching in documentation and i i have seen a tool called "Expression manager" on this link manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager . I recently installed the lastest version of limesurvey and it is totally different to the screenshot of the tutorial. Can anyone explain me how to create a condition in the latest version of limesurvey?

Thank in advance!
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
7 years 5 months ago #143698 by tammo
The latest version of LimeSurvey has an administrative UI that is a little, let's say confusing...

Conditions for your question can be placed in the box "Relevance equation" in the question edit screen.

Also sub-questions of several questions can have a relevance, that is: they can be shown/not shown depending of answers to previous questions or depending on token values.

For example: q1 is a Yes/no question and you only want to show q2 if q1 has been answered Yes:

Relevance equation for q2 is: q1=="Y"

There is a lot to learn here, also for me...

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
  • tammo
More
7 years 5 months ago #143699 by tammo
I know that the LS develoment team is working on the administrative UI, so things will get better in time...

respondage.nl
  • amolinue
  • amolinue's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #143700 by amolinue
Thanks Tammo. Do you know a sort of expression for conditions? I have seen is_empty(), OR, AND... Do you know more of them?

Thanks in advance!
  • tammo
More
7 years 5 months ago #143701 by tammo
There is for many hours of enjoyment (...) in: manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager

It cost me several hours/days/weeks to learn this. It is worth it!

Tammo ;-)

respondage.nl
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #143725 by holch
However, despite Expression Manager being a lot more flexible (and also quicker if you know your way around), the normal conditions should still work. When you are in the survey you want to set conditions for, you need to click the button "set conditions".

But it is well worth to spend some time on the Expression Manager, because it gives you soo much flexibility and possibilities that you don't have with conditions, that it is definitely worth it to spend some time to get your head around it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by holch.
More
7 years 5 months ago #143739 by Ben_V

holch wrote: However, despite Expression Manager being a lot more flexible (and also quicker if you know your way around), the normal conditions should still work

1) Additionally, a big difference is that the built-in conditions engine creates a strong dependency between questions. for example it could be hard or simply not allowed to move or delete a question if there is an associated condition... You have to first edit/delete the related condition(s). With EM it's much more easier.

2) An option for beginners is to use LS standard conditions builder to generate the related expression; then copy this expression (look at the relevance field), delete the condition, and reuse/paste this expression as a valid expression.
This is some extra work but also a secure way to get well formatted EM code ;)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose