Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Time for some help!

• adrianwi
  • adrianwi's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #139286 by adrianwi
Time for some help! was created by adrianwi
I spent a good part of the weekend trying to install LimeSurvey and after several failed attempts, and one successful using AWS, I thought I'd ask the good people here what might be going wrong locally.

I'm running a FreeNAS server, and my first attempts were trying to install in a VirtualBox FreeBSD 10.3 VM which I already had running with a FEMP stack that I used for a test WordPress server. Had no issues getting to the installation pages, and connecting to the MYSQL database but then lots of blank screens and after some google I eventually gave up as I suspect the issues were NGINX configuration related and some rewrite conflicts with WordPress.

Created a separate FreeBSD VM and configured another FEMP stack and tried again with similar results although I was starting to suspect it wasn't related to the NGINX configuration. Installation checks all passed, found and updated the database tables but when clicking the Administration button just a blank screen. When accessing from the URL I could enter a username and password but again a blank screen.

To eliminate NGINX I created another FreeBSD VM and configured a FAMP stack but again had almost identical results, which started making me think it was maybe FreeBSD related.

Having almost given up, I thought I'd try creating a AWS instance using a preconfigured Bitnami instance which worked fine and having played around a little made me even more determined to get a local version up and running.

Anyone else running on FreeBSD and what are the common causes for blank screens at the end of the install and login pages? I'm going to try using a CentOS VM, but would much prefer to use FreeBSD given this is what FreeNAS is based on.

Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • adrianwi
More
7 years 9 months ago #139288 by adrianwi
Replied by adrianwi on topic Time for some help!
Well, getting it up and running in CentOS 6.7 was pretty straight forward, other than having to update the installed version of mysql.

Would really like to understand why the same steps aren't working in FreeBSD but at least I have a couple of PHP configuration files to compare.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated...
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 8 months ago #139297 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Time for some help!
Best is :
- What PHP version you set
- Did you activate debug mode

In fact : FreeBsd or not, important thing is PHP version

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • adrianwi
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #139322 by adrianwi
Thanks for the reply!

Basic differences from a quick compare of info.php:
FreeBSD (10.3)CentOS (6.7)
Apache2.4.232.2.15
PHP5.6.235.4.45
mysql5.6.305.5.50
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by adrianwi. Reason: changed mysql version
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 8 months ago #139324 by DenisChenu
mysql 5.0.11 is the issue for 2.50 version, must try 3.06 but unsure it work.

ANd : manual.limesurvey.org/Debug_mode is always a good idea if you have issue

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • adrianwi
More
7 years 8 months ago #139328 by adrianwi
Thought I'd check that again, as I was expecting the FreeBSD installation to be more up-to-date.

The mysql version is actually 5.6.30.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 8 months ago #139330 by DenisChenu
It must work : try with debug

• adrianwi
More
7 years 8 months ago #139336 by adrianwi
Right, here's what I've done with some more detailed notes:
  • Everything configured as above so ran for the first time from http://<IP>/limesurvey
  • Installer opens and click through the check settings. All OK with PHP 5.6.23, 128MB, mysql, directories found and writeable, etc.
  • Entered databased details and returns to say database exists and click to populate
  • Leave optional screen alone and when clicking to complete displays a blank screen

I then checked ../limesurvey/application/config and noticed it hadn't created a config.php file. Copied config-sample-mysql.php to config.php and populated with database details. Also set both debugs at bottom of file to 2.

When I browse to http://<IP>/limesurvey I get a screen with logo and language selection (no debug info)
When I browse to http://<IP>/limesurvey/admin I get a login screen (no debug info) and when I enter default username/password (admin/password) I just get a blank screen (no debug info)

Has something in the installation not completed which means it's not reading the config.php file?
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 8 months ago #139338 by DenisChenu

adrianwi wrote: .....

• Leave optional screen alone and when clicking to complete displays a blank screen

Issue is here.

Did you have apache/ngynx log ? If yes : look what is the exact error when config.php file must be created.

• adrianwi
More
7 years 8 months ago #139342 by adrianwi
This is all that in the apache log:
Code:
[Mon Jul 18 14:06:54.327752 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 69779] AH00163: Apache/2.4.23 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.6.23 configured --resuming normal operations
[Mon Jul 18 14:06:54.339674 2016] [core:notice] [pid 69779] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/local/sbin/httpd -D NOHTTPACCEPT'          
[Mon Jul 18 14:17:56.476277 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 69779] AH00169: caught SIGTERM, shutting down                           
[Mon Jul 18 14:18:05.347715 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 76933] AH00163: Apache/2.4.23 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.6.23 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Jul 18 14:18:05.347766 2016] [core:notice] [pid 76933] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/local/sbin/httpd -D NOHTTPACCEPT'
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 8 months ago #139357 by DenisChenu

• adrianwi
More
7 years 8 months ago #139359 by adrianwi
Firstly, thanks for your help with this! One of the things I love about FreeNAS is the ability to snapshot a dataset, so got everything setup ready for the install and then took a snapshot so I can roll back to start again at the click of a button!!

I've had another look and updated httpd.conf with the additional module settings.

Cleared out https-error.log and restarted the VM (jail)

Checked log before running the install and these were thrown with Apache starting:
Code:
[Mon Jul 18 20:19:29.361501 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 59191] AH00163: Apache/2.4.23 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.6.23 configured -- resuming normal operation
[Mon Jul 18 20:19:29.361550 2016] [core:notice] [pid 59191] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/local/sbin/httpd'

Ran the installer and the same 'blank screen' issue at the end of the optional page. When I checked the error log, nothing new added.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose